questions on cherry wood.

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
aaron

questions on cherry wood.

Post by aaron »

Hey everyone, it is me and my limited experience again asking questions. I found that we do have a woodcraft store here in Hawaii, and I bought a large block of cherry wood. Large enuff to make 4 big pipes. I made my first one today, and the wood seems kind of soft. Is there another cherry wood that I should be aware of? until now all I have used for pipes is briar= it is hard and heavy. I am worried about this cherry wood- doesn't it burn up? I am about to smoke my first bowl tonite. (i made the largest apple shape you have ever seen- it is great looking)

thanks for your help

aaron heizer
I just want to be the best that I can be.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Can't answer your quesyion on the "cherry wood" but we need pic's on the Pipe.
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

Aaron,

I have made dozens of pipes from cherrywood, and have found that they smoke cool and dry. They tend to lend a subtle flavor of their own to most tobacco.

Although this wood is not as heat resistant as briar, a cherrywood that is broken in slowly and carefully can be almost as durable as briar.

Once a sufficient cake has formed in the bowl, these can be smoked the same as any ther pipe.

I have also found that the kiln dried blocks available through woodworking supply stores to be superior for pipemaking than air dried log or limb sections.

Brazillian cherrywood is also readily available. This wood is very hard, dense and difficult to work. It tends to develop small cracks across the grain when smoked, and I don't feel it's smoking quality comes anywhere that of briar or cherrywood.

I would be interested in hearing your opinions of your cherrywood pipe after you have had a chance to smoke it for awhile.

Mike