tool for drilling the tobacco chamber

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
ND Pipes

tool for drilling the tobacco chamber

Post by ND Pipes »

i have made a tool for drilling the tobacco chamber (it is made out of steel used for tools and the thickness of the drilling part is 4mm) - it is not working fine. I assume that the angle is the problem - can someone help me to point the error in making for me in order to make a better drilling tool out of this one... Thank You...
regards
daniel

pic's:

"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Alan L
Site Supporter

Re: tool for drilling the tobacco chamber

Post by Alan L »

Well, it may be a little thick, but the only glaring problem I can see is that in your second picture, the left-hand side of the bit needs more relief. I'm guessing it shakes and judders, takes chunks out of the bowl rim, and generally wreaks havoc on precision? I say that because that's what my first one did too. :wink:

With a spade bit like that you really need to use a drill press with the briar in a vise. I also start the chamber with a forstner bit and finish it with the spade.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

oh well, i used it on a beech wood and with an angle (not with 90 degrees towards the wood)... the chamber was not cut very good - it is cutting to rough especialy when it is coming towards the lines of the wood (sorry my english is not that good and i don't know the name for the lines that wood has- hope you understand what i am talking about)... when it is coming down the lines or along the lines it is o.k. but towards the lines it is bad....
i was thinking to maybe flatten the drilling tool so that it is more like a scissors blade not like a knife blade... maybe this would help (i don't know how the real drill bits look like - that is the problem - how the blade is looking like)...

Philthy

Post by Philthy »

I make mine the same way and they work great. I do taper more to a point (oval) at the tip instead of so flat. You might try pre-drilling a little first with a large standard bit.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I think I understand what you mean, it is chipping out when used across the grain (the "lines" in the wood). Luckily, briar doesn't do that nearly as much as regular wood. Its grain is so tight and interlocked you'll just get chatter marks if you're lucky. When Briar chips out, it comes off in big rough hunks.

The scissors blade idea is about right, that's the sort of profile you want for the edges. You may want to do as Phil says and make the flat at the tip smaller too. The edge angle should be around 70 to 80 degrees, sharpened only on the bevel, not the flat side. The flat sides should be perfectly flat.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

o.k. guys - thank You :) i tried to drill and it looks o.k.... :) after i am done with some sanding inside the chamber, it will be o.k. :)

thanks