Hand shaping a tenon

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Njemt527

Hand shaping a tenon

Post by Njemt527 »

I'm new to the land of pipe making. I started refurbishing estate pipes about 5 months ago. I recently bought a Peterson 80s with a stem that's beyond repair. I bought a pre shaped P-lip from Pipe makers emporium when I ordered dyes. I've looked on here and found many ways to shape and cut the stem. But, having limited power tools, a drill a dremel a buffer/grinder wheel and a table router, I have no way or idea how to turn the tenon to the correct diameter. Can any one give me a hint or tell me how to cut turn it down by hand?
Sasquatch

Re: Hand shaping a tenon

Post by Sasquatch »

There's a tenon cutter, kind of like a pencil sharpener, that PIMO sells. Failing that, you can kind of roll up some 80 grit paper and try to grind it roundish and the rightish size.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I use the above mentioned PIMO tenon tool (much cheaper than tenon tools elsewhere) in a hand drill clamped to my workbench. Not surprisingly the results are less than perfect. Without a drill press to hold it steady or one of the more expensive tenon tools from JHLowe or Pipe Makers Emporium your results will probably be less than perfect. I am now exploring the drill press/forstner bit/delrin option.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
DMI

Post by DMI »

When I first started re-steming estates I made myself one of these:

It's fairly simple to use and does the job, it takes some time unless you roughly trim the tennon with a file. The first one had a leather hinge at the top but this lead to some tapering of the tennon as the pressure was uneven, the final version I made had a metal hinge which solved the problem.

I still use one to fine tennons

David.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Now THAT is a slap-the-forehead moment of genius if ever I've seen one! :notworthy:
DMI

Post by DMI »

I'm good at them. :D which is why I'm going bald.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Brilliant, David!
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Wow, that is a really cool thing, David. Now I know what I have to do tomorrow next to making pipes... :D
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

DMI - just the right thing i was searching for... thank You so much :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
CedarSlayer

Post by CedarSlayer »

That is a rather brilliant solution, DMI, thank you for sharing. I am used to using a lathe for that sort of work, and this looks to be a much more convenient method. Consider yourself ripped off, I will be making a copy this weekend.

Bob
I would rather look stupid today, than be stupid tomorrow.

http://toolmakingart.com/