Would a drill press of these specs be adequate?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Dixie_piper

Would a drill press of these specs be adequate?

Post by Dixie_piper »

I just found a 10" Skil drill press, 3.2 amp motor, 2 laser alignment system capable of 45 degree tilt with adjustable depth.
500-3,050 RPM
Would this be enough to handle Briar, or would I be wasting my $$$ on this?
Any advice or desried specs I should keep an eye out for would be greatle appreciated, thanks!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Would a drill press of these specs be adequate?

Post by KurtHuhn »

3.2A is, what, roughly 1/3 HP? It should be quite capable. The spindle travel is the biggest limiting factor on drill presses, especially with longer pipes, but you can make do with a 9" or 10" model without too much difficulty.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I believe it is 1/3 HP.
Awesome, I was hoping it would be enough. Found them new on amazon for $140, re-furbished by Skil for $80 with a longer warranty. Guess I'll be saving my pennies instead of spending em on "sody pop & records," lol.
Thanks again:)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

By the way, don't be surprised when you never use the laser alignment toys. They don't work well for oddly-shaped things, the center moves if you change the height, and frankly they will slow you down. Carefully align your drill press by eye (as God intended), and you'll be fine.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Ten fo, I gotchya.
I figured as much, although I do hope it may help with determining the "outcome" point. But I will use the ol' "good eye" method :shock: :lol:
I taught myself a hard learned lesson earlier today about keeping a hand held drill straight with a spade bit.
In trying to convert my first practice piece to an odd looking ash tray.
First, a 12V cordless drill sucks out loud when using a 1-1/2" spade bit! Torque settings were of no use.
Second, when I examined the started hole (roughly 3/8" deep) the bottom was "wavy" per se. It caused some hellified chatter and vibration.
I'm lovin it though, lessons learned hard are learned well :)
But the drill press should help prevent the chatter... or so meh thinks... :?
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Charl

Post by Charl »

The bigger the better of course! Spindle travel, like Kurt said, is the main factor. A drillpress is a cheap way to get into pipemaking, but don't be surprised if you eventually shove it into a corner, to be used only every now and then.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

One tip.......... At least it worked for me. Cut up some old rough 2x4 or bigger and practice drilling and alignment on them before you start on briar. It will save you some blocks......... Another tip, a decent drill press vice for holding the block once you have it aligned where you want it.

No matter how you start out, you'll eventually want to upgrade and constantly find something that will make the job easier and that means.......... "Money Pit" but that is one pit I jumped into gladly and love...... Now if I could just get the new place remodeled so that I could then get to work on the shop and get back to work on pipes. Alas......... not enough time in a 24 hour day! :evil:
Pipe Maker in the Making!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I started with a benchtop drillpress. My advice: save a bit more and get a decent floor model with decent spindle travel (at least 4".) I would also recommend getting a milling vise. It makes life so much easier. Harbor Freight makes one that works fine with a little adjustment.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I have plenty of small projects to practice on ;) I've needed one for quite some time. As big a fan as I am of Kobalt & Craftsman, I believe I'm going with Skil for most everything big. I know their circular saws are tough as nails, I've pulled one out of a bucket full of water frozen solid. Set it in the barn under a light to "defrost," and roughly 10 years later my dad is still using that same saw.
The one I'm looking at is a floor model I believe. It's got a 10" spindle travel, I believe it'll suffice for now. One day I'm sure I'll upgrade, but no time soon
:D
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Charl

Post by Charl »

Skill tools tough as nails!! :shock: For some reason the US ones should then be much, much better than what we get here in SA. Over here even the "industrial" range is crap!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Lol.
I think it's usually hit n miss with most any tool that isn't "top of the line," I just base my opinions on personal experience and price range. I know buying cheap tools can bite you in the rear, but Skil has been kind to me. So have Craftsman, Kobalt and Black & Decker, but... on the larger tools they're out of my budget. I'm still keeping an eye out for a better model for sale used, just not very trusting of most people when it comes to used tools. Maybe Skil will upgrade their SA line soon :D
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

For used stuff, I've found area Craigslist to be the go to place. I've bought stuff from it all over the country...... always save a bundle and get some great stuff at the same time.

It's where I got my 9x20 Jet lathe and my sherline Mill too................
Pipe Maker in the Making!