Ivory in Canada?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
stdly

Ivory in Canada?

Post by stdly »

I checked out Tylers link page and saw a link to buy some Elephant Ivory. I took look and they cannot export to any country. Anyone here a Canuck and have a source to purchace some ivory in our Northland.
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Hi Steve,

Depending on the size you might try Tagua Nut. Very similar to Ivory, though not an exact match. Also often you'll find voids in the center of the nut so you might have to be satisfied with what you can cut from around the sides of the nut. Typically you'll get a good 1/2 inch of material to work with.
stdly

Post by stdly »

Stephen,
Thanks! I did pick up a couple of the nuts from Lee Valley a couple weeks again. I saw you used them on some of your tampers and thought I would give it a try. I forgot I even bought them I will pull them out and crack into one. I just thought if the Ivory was legally sold and available it would be nice to work some into a pipe. Sometimes the smallest inspiration can change the whole outcome of a pipe i have started to make.
Michael Parks gave me some African Kudu horn last time I visited him and I will be using it on my next pipe. I am waiting for some bamboo from Tyler to finish that one the bowl is made already. This might sound phony but the other day while working the horn I started to wonder where this horn had been on its long journey before and after it was to become an ornament then my finger hit the disk sander and I was back.
:lol:
Regards,
Steve J

StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Steve,

I was speaking with Michael a couple weeks ago and he mentioned that he got a wonderful glass shine off the Kudu horn. I'm jealous! Please post pics when you're done.
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

Am I the only one that has a problem using a product from an endangered species?
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

:lol:

Next thing we could do is Tiger and Gorilla pipe pouches...
stdly

Post by stdly »

Jeffery wrote:Am I the only one that has a problem using a product from an endangered species?
Jeffery,
It is my understanding that these materials are sold legally and the proceeds are used to help the animals that still need it and not the ones that die of natural causes. I did find the link for the ivory on this site as well.

Can you imagine making a pipe from all natural materials? That has not been done since plastics were invented. 8O

As far as the pouches I am making a leather pouch right now for one of my pipes, that poor COW! Steak for dinner tonight! I thought I would try and get the vegetarians in on this one too. :lol:
Regards,
Steve J

kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Here is a nice alternative for Ivory
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/frame ... t_mat.html
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
stdly

Post by stdly »

kbosi wrote:Here is a nice alternative for Ivory
kbosi,
Thanks for the link, cool site! One of the vietnamese guys at work is getting me some water buffalo from his mother in vietnam. I see they sell it on that site. I have a small pipe from vietnam made with it and it polishes up very nice.
Regards,
Steve J

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Kirk beat me to it. :) I use that stuff for a couple different things, stem rings included, and it's really very nice. It machines somewhat oddly, but you can get an incredible shine. I had a sick thought about using it to make a stem for a pipe, but haven't followed through on that yet.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

KurtHuhn wrote:
thought about using it to make a stem for a pipe, but haven't followed through on that yet.

That is one I have not thought of. I think I may try that
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you get to it before I do, let me know how it goes. It seems like it would be a good material to use.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com