Samuel G. alt.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
FoxGuy

Samuel G. alt.

Post by FoxGuy »

with the S.G. line in shorter supply and my BBF running low has anyone got a good substitute that won't kill the bank account ?

Thanks
Listen.... you can't live long enough to make all your own mistakes !
Charles E. Davis
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Samuel G. alt.

Post by KurtHuhn »

Which blends are you looking to substitute?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I think he's looking for a substitute to Best Brown Flake, which I've not tried. I think I might actually have a tin of it cellared, but I haven't got around to ever trying it yet.
FoxGuy

Post by FoxGuy »

Yes Best Brown is what i'm looking for a sub. for due to it's short supply the problem is so far all the comparable tobaccos are nearly double the cost..... any sugestions are appericated
Charles E. Davis
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The basic flavor profile of the virginias used in Club Blend (Mac Baren) are very similar to Best Brown Flake, but it's only a component, and that tobacco is both sweeter and spicier (and therefore better!) than BBF.

A little more boring, you could try something like Scottish Flake from McConnell, or Special London Mature.

The McClelland virginias do not taste the same to me, that mild grassy flavor of BBF, so I can't recommend anything in that line.

Again, not the same, but Orlik Golden Sliced has some of the same properties as BBF.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Gawith & Hoggarth Brown Flake Unscented is dang close and is in the same price range as BBF.
FoxGuy

Post by FoxGuy »

Well I got lucky today a good friend of mine found me 27 oz. of BBF for almost 1/2 price and got me FVF for about the same deal so now maybe I have enough to hold me over til the boat gets here from across the pond with more of that good stuff but I am going to continue my quest for a sub. just in case

thanks for everyones imput
Charles E. Davis
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I feel your pain, man!

I'm down to my last half-pound of SG 1792, my daily smoke and a peculiar substance for which there is no known equivalent. I've reserved a few pounds from a couple of different retailers to be filled whenever the ship comes in. :(