A Sellers View

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
BriarBlues

A Sellers View

Post by BriarBlues »

I hope this does not offend anyone as it is not intended to do so. I have been looking at the many pipes shown in the Gallery and see a high degree of quality and interesting pipes. However I thought I might offer some constructive criticism from a seller’s point of view.

You see there is a difference between the way a potential seller looks at pipes from how the end buyer / collectors views a pipe. In most cases the later are much more forgiving. I know this is a general statement and not 100% always the case, but from what I have witnessed in most cases it is true.

Some might think that shape and style would be primary in the assessment, but a long time ago I stopped looking at the shape and style of pipes that were intended for selling. The reason for this is that we all have personal preferences in shape and style. I can not limit the items I select to those that I like. Sometimes the pipes I see as truly fugly are the first that have sold.

So as a seller what do I look for in a pipe or group of pipes from a maker? What aspects will incite me to want to sell / represent / work with the carver?

If there is only a single pipe to “inspect” the absolute first thing I notice is finish. Is the polish on the bowl well done? Are there any sand paper or file marks on the bowl? Is the dye (if any) even? Is the stem smooth and shiny? How is the shank / stem joint? Is it flush, smooth, and light gap free? Is the button even? Are there any sand paper or file marks on the end of the stem or in the air passage at the button end? When I take the pipe apart ( if allowed to do so ) how is the tenon and hidden areas on the stem? Are they polished or are these areas rough? Inside the mortise … are there any marks? Is the shank end smooth or rough? I will look inside the tobacco chamber. If a virgin finish I will look for drill bit marks. These differ from a sanded interior, that is still slightly rough. (some makers prefer / believe a non smooth tobacco chamber cakes quicker / better than does a chamber which has been polished to the same degree as the bowl exterior) Is the drilling lined up correctly? Does the air passage and the bottom of the tobacco chamber line up? Is there any dye inside the tobacco chamber? If the chamber has a pre carbon coating does it appears to be even? Is the pre carbon coating applied right to the edge of the rim or slopped over onto the rim?

If there are a number of pipes to assess all the above is done plus I look at consistency. Are all the finishes applied nicely? Are all the stems shiny? Are all the buttons similar or do they vary greatly?

Consistency is one of the key elements on the assessment. As a seller I will need to know (or at least have confidence) that each and ever pipe I buy and sell will have the same quality range. If the quality or consistency alters greatly I will not be able to promote the makers work as I will never know what I may get in the next batch of pipes.

As a seller I do not have the luxury of being able to have one by maker A and 2 from maker B. Then in a few weeks maybe offer pipes from maker C and D and no longer have any of maker A’s pipes. A collector may pick and choose one or more pipes at a time, but for the seller we need the flow of like quality pipes to keep the end buyers and makers happy.

Now in the gallery I see a number of carvers that are near ready to take a step up and possibly augment their incomes by selling some pipes to shops or dealers. Yes I know that some of you are currently selling pipes, which is great. Some of you are not. The above is IMHO what goes through a dealers mind as they look at the pipes you create. When you have completed a pipe re look at it from not the makers view, but from a sellers view point. While you may love the end results always remember that others look at different aspects of what you have created. A wise man once told me this …… when you have completed making something imagine that it is going to be the only example of your craft that the end owner will ever see. Do you want that end owner to be in awe of what they have or, just look at it as another similar to others they own?

When I look in the gallery and see dye inside the tobacco chamber (near the rim), or spotty finishes, or stems that do not gleam the pipes get immediately tagged as rank amateurish. Granted many of the carvers are indeed amateurs, BUT with just a little more polish or sanding you take it that next step. Even if you have no intentions of ever selling a pipe you have created, you still have the ability to show as well as the carvers that have years more experience.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Mike,

While I agree with many of your statements and would hardly diverge at all from your list of "necessaries" I would caution anyone against taking those things as a sort of "high-grade recipe." The one place where we would probably disagree significantly is on shape. Yes, it is a subjective criterion (though I would argue only to a point), but it is, in my experience, the first thing a potential buyer looks for. When you couple a great shape with beautiful grain, a nicely detailed blast, or a great rusticated texture, you're usually going to have a winner. The necessaries still have to be there, but I would argue that if a pipe looks like a doorknob no amount of polishing, finishing, or detailing is going to convince a potential customer to plunk down a couple of hundred bucks on it. Taste is somewhat subjective, but there still exists somewhat of an aesthetic concensus. Anyway, great post, I just wanted to throw in a bit of a caveat.

Todd
aaron

Post by aaron »

As a "young" pipe carver, I am appreciative to be able to read your post. It is quite informative- and it makes a lot of sense. I, like you have said, have been worried about the shape- the miniscule sand pits or flaws, or how much I would personally like the pipes I create. I am also a leather worker, and I have the principle of business of which you speak with my leather work.... I strive to have "speechless" customers each time I am commissioned to make something. Wether it be a suitcase for pipes, or a single action gun belt. I should have the same standards with my pipes.

Thank you for your outstanding insight = it will be used in the near future.

Aaron Heizer
I just want to be the best that I can be.
BriarBlues

A Sellers View

Post by BriarBlues »

Hi Todd;

Thanks. I agree ... a truly fugly pipe ( TOS ) no matter how well finished is still a truly fugly pipe. Also yes it was not a recipe to high grade pipe production. Far from it. It spans all quality / price ranges. It matters not if the pipe has $100.00 or $1000.00 price tag. There are certain aspects that a seller will look at that hint at the seriousness and dedication of the carver. The post is only from a seller or dealers view.

As a collector and for my personal collection many of the things in the post do not come into play. Shape, style, size are the main areas I look for personally.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
Nick

Post by Nick »

Vey cool posts guys. Thanks!
Clemons

Post by Clemons »

Hey Michael! Good to hear from you! Update...only 53 days until I retire! Anyways, I like the post. I have learned alot from watching people pick up my pipes at the shows and give them the once over. The first thing I noticed is every one will put his or her finger in the bowl and feel the finish. I myself do not think the pipe smokes better if the bowl is sanded down to a fine grit, but I'm not the one buying my pipes. Great post and please stay on the radar!
Greg
Greg Clemons
jeff

Post by jeff »

...but I would argue that if a pipe looks like a doorknob no amount of polishing, finishing, or detailing is going to convince a potential customer to plunk down a couple of hundred bucks on it.
Damn! Back to the drawing boards. *Note to self: No more doorknob shaped pipes*

Jeff
BriarBlues

A Sellers View

Post by BriarBlues »

Jeff;

No no no... door knob shaped bowls are fine.... as long as the shank, stem etc have a nice flow and follow a grain pattern which accentuates the shape of a door knob. Now if you can pull that off the shape is fine. :)

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Mike,

I have been meaning to post to this thread for a few days, but I have been distracted by making pipes that will pass muster! :D

I appreciate the information you have provided here. This thread has not seen a lot of action, but I hope people will read your comments and take note. There is a lot to consider and pay attention to when it comes to making top-end pipes. You have provided a good measure to hold one's pipes up against to see how one is progressing in the learning of this task of pipe making.

If I might offer a word to newer makers that read this info and are possibly overwhelmed by all the points Mike makes t is this. My own experience is that as you grow in your pipemaking (and I certainly have much of that to do) you will begin to notice more and more details in the refining of your pipes. I remember the first time I talked on the phone to Michael Lindner who was offering instruction to me, and he asked me what diameter I drilled out my pipe stems to. I said, "Huh? They already have a hole in them." :) (I was using pre-formed stems at the time.) My how conversations with him opened my eyes! I was mostly concerned back then with shape (of course, I still am) but now I am concerned more with precision and details. I spend most of my time now on things I never knew existed two years ago. However, I have gotten better at the things that I used to spend most of my time on and I do not spent more time making the pipes. In summary, my point is simply this: grow into making the best pipes. Make a batch of pipes, take them to a show, have them critiqued by a maker that you look up to (and who will tell you the truth), and go home and make more taking advantage of all you learned the first time around. Do the best you can do ever pipe, learn, and do it all over again.

This is all a very fun process. It can be very hard work (I was up until 4:30am last night finishing my pipes for Richmond!) but it is quite rewarding.

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marks

Post by marks »

Yes, Mike's post does give one lots to think about when making pipes, particularly when one is considering selling them. I have been looking at the pipes I make in a different way since I first read the post, and I have come back to re-read it a time or two.

I also just took a couple of recent pipes I made over to Paul Tatum's and asked him to give me a critical critique on them. Paul put the high intensity LED pen light to them, and I learned I had a little more work to do. What looks shiny in the basement, sometimes doesn't measure up to this type of scrutiny. Paul has an amazing eye for detail. (I have since bought one of these pen lights and now use it when putting the finishing touches on a pipe).

Back to Mike's post. I think it would be a great idea for Tyler, in his spare time :wink: , to start a reference section on the web site, or a classic post section, and one of the first things I recommend for this section is Mike's post. It is sort of a top ten or more list of things that make a first class pipe; something for all of us amateurs, and aspiring professionals to strive for.
BriarBlues

A Sellers View

Post by BriarBlues »

Thanks for the kind words Mark. I am not sure if the post rates "classic" status. It is only a starting point. Read Todd's reply and the caveat. He is indeed quite correct. As well Tyler's words. While it may sound overwhelming it isn't really once you start to step up. Trust me on this that no pipe maker starts creating pipes that pass all the original post assessments. I am sure Todd, Michael Lindner, Tyler, Will Purdy, Brian Ruthenberg, Trever et all will have stories of some of their first " creations" and how each pipe that followed offered learning and each one being worked on has their complete effort to improve from what the previous created pipe was. My point was really towards little things that most people see right away which gives you a slight edge on how the pipe "shows". Most people do not go over a pipe like a potential dealer does. There are exceptions. The first ime I say Tarek go over a pipe I was stunned! He inspected areas I had never even thought of looking at. Then I saw a fellow named Toren Smith inspect a pipe. His inspection made Tareks look like somone just grabbing a basket pipe at a shop without a thought for shape or grain! So there are exceptions and these are guys that if you want a brutaly honest assesment of a pipe are the go to guys. Another is Greg Pease. But on average most will not go over a pipe like a micro surgeon. However a little thing like sanding the inner rim of dye that shows bellow the rim makes a pipe present better. What will it take? Only a few minutes. IT will not make the pipe smoke better. It just offers the perception of finer finish. Indeed it is a finer finish and it IS what the better makers do. Look at Todd's pipes. You will never see pipe dye in any area it should not be. Same with Trever, Brian, Will and the others mentioned. Now think about this. You are at a show and another reasonably well known maker ( that is a bit lazy ) is showing around some pipes. You join in and show a few of your pipes AND the rim dye on yours is cleaned up BUT the better known makers is not. Who looks at first glance the better maker? Sure maybe the other carver has polished ever iota of the rest of the pipe with microscope paper BUT to the naked eye your pipe will show better. The same with the polish on a stem. The stem should gleam as much as the bowl and more. Almost to mirror like. Sure it takes a bit of extra time and care but it presents the pipe better. These are the first steps. No matter if using a pre drilled kit or starting from block and rod the end results can still look great. Now finish is only one part of pipe excellence. The internals also need to be in place and learned to perfection. While on that road you still can create and show excellence. I can see the potential just by looking at the gallery. You group have some serious talent. Don't hestitate to take it up a notch. On a final note. Looking at a pipe under different light sources helps. Basic light bulbs to flourescent, to day light bulbs, to mini mag lights to sun light all give your eyes a different view. Each will enhance your abilities to see little things that the other light sources miss. Try it you may be surprised.
Regards
Michael J. Glukler
Nick

Post by Nick »

I agree with Marks. Classic post section for this whole thread.
BriarBlues

A Sellers View

Post by BriarBlues »

Hi Random;

Indeed much of it is "window dressing". Indeed after a few bowls much of it is meaningless. Then again .... when a potential buyer is looking at pipes of similar shape ... which will catch their attention quicker?

I also recall Trever's comments on buyers going down a check list and exceptations that a $100.00 will be equal to a $500.00 pipe.

I have said this before and maybe it needs repeating. What does "high grade" mean? It is used far to often. I find myself using it and when I catch it I try to remove the phrase or re word. High Grade = the higher grades of a makers pipes. Is a Castello Sea Rock a high grade? It is the lowest grade offered by Castello. So IF a Sea Rock is a high grade what then is a Fiamatta? An ultra extreme high grade?

Rather than striving to make "high grades" alter the words / thoughts to creating high quality pipes at all graded points.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

Great information Mike, not only for those who sell their pipes, but also for the hobby pipemaker that just wants to improve his skills.

Two of your suggestions really stand out.

It takes very little time to refine most of the small details. The key is to be aware of what needs to and can be refined.

The second is inspecting the pipe under different light sources. It's almost scary to realize the imperfections different sources and intensities of light will bring out.

Thanks for a suburb post.

Mike Brissett
BriarBlues

A Sellers View

Post by BriarBlues »

Hi Random;

Maybe I did not explain properly. The alternate light sources are for looking at the finished item. Close inspection with the set up you have will show spots etc but different light sources offer different light hues and refractions. This is for looking at the finished item at a normal looking distance. If you look too closely you will not see how the light reflects off the finish. Sometimes you need to step back to look.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
stdly

Post by stdly »

Michael,
Thanks for the post it has been good for all us I would say!
Kind of late to jump in on this post but I have been following it from the start. I promise not to post any pics of pipes that are not my absolute best work and in a smokeable state by my standard. :oops: I don't know if all us amatures are feeling the same but I for one get pretty excited when I get close to making a pipe I can be very proud of. That is why I take a pic before I am completely finished. You could even get some feedback at this late point that would help finish that pipe as prescribed and to our utmost approval.
Great Post!
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Hi Mike,

Just checking here, and read your's and other's post with interest. Lord knows, there's a lot to learn. I find, as Tyler was saying, that with each new batch or each new pipe, a little further refinement is recognized as needed and possible. That's right where I am, and will likely be forever; recognizing those possibilities and trying to take care of them. In that comes a more refined pipe that offers me more personal satisfaction, the buyers a better experience in either easthetics or smoking, and dealers, as you alude to--more confidence in the product.

I remember reading a biography of a particular artist (painter). He said that when he began marketing his work, he went to a major design studio in new York with his portfolio and some originals. The art director refused his work. The artist couldn't quite understand why, as he himself felt they were top notch. He pressed the art director to offer his reason for regecting the work. The director simply said, "it's no use telling you where you have to improve because you are not at the stage yet where you are able to see that; paint more with that in mind" This infuriated the artist, as he was just asking for help. Years after he relfected on that experience and understood what was meant. He now knew that he was not ready to refine to that degree at that time. His "seeing had to become refined before he could advance his "technique." That I suppose is the other side to all this. It might relate more to design than technical engineering and the points you raised, but perhaps worthy of mention.

That artist now by the way is the absolute best in his feild. His work is the standard that others are judged by. The reason he acheived that is because he always tried to advance how he saw his work, and never felt he was "there" after that one meeting.

I have to think that my pipes are at a stage that my paintings were years ago. I thought at the time my paintings were pretty good. Now I see how lacking they were, but they were right for the period I was in. Each painting led to the next. I now look at work of 6 months ago and realise that I "see" more now. 6 months from now, I will "see" more again hopefully. To me, pipes are the same. I know that two years from now, I'll look back and say to myself, "boy you had courage to put those out there on the market;" only in relative terms though, as I do feel good about the value in my pipes. The road ahead is clear. What I see is: there is a lot I am not yet seeing, so I'll be patient and try to see more every day.

Good reading all,
John
http://www.johnrocheleau.com/
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Okay, here's a couple more thoughts that relate. I find--for myself that is--that I can be overwhelmed if I think of all the inprovements I have to make. Where does one begin? What helps me, is to focus on a couple aspects at a time. In the last batch of pipes I made a promise to me and to the market that I would always have precise drilling alignment, and a good snug, smooth stem fit with no gaps whatever. In the next batch I may focus on obtaining a more polished airway in the shank, further polishing in the stem airway, and removing all traces of drill marks from the bottom of the bowl.

While doing this, I know full well, there are other issues to address, but the mind can handle only so many things at once and do them well. That gives me a sense of control and grasp, instead of being overwhelmed. As a result, I can perhaps now interject more artistic freedom in the design because my mind isn't so tied up with all the things to handle. A step at a time and patience is how I feel it works best for me. Maybe that mental compartmentalization can help others as well.

Happy creating,
John