Where to find morta for pipes...?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
caskwith

Re: Where to find morta for pipes...?

Post by caskwith »

Nate wrote:
caskwith wrote:Not to hijack this thread but I have posted some blocks for sale in the appropriate forum :)
I am in the same boat as tNd. Stop tempting me with your Morta!!! :D
Haha sorry about that, and here is me thinking i am helping people LOL! :twisted:
Nate

Post by Nate »

caskwith wrote:
Nate wrote:
caskwith wrote:Not to hijack this thread but I have posted some blocks for sale in the appropriate forum :)
I am in the same boat as tNd. Stop tempting me with your Morta!!! :D
Haha sorry about that, and here is me thinking i am helping people LOL! :twisted:
:lol: You certainly are helping people, it seems as though Morta is pretty elusive. Thanks for offering some of your own stash! Maybe one day I will be able to purchase some! The next question along this line I have is, where do you find the exotic alternate materials such as Mastodon tusk?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

That is not really an area I can help with. I dont really tend to go in for the very exotic materials, most of the things i have are gifts from knifemaking friends. I know Todd uses a lot of ivory etc, maybe he can help?
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Nate wrote:The next question along this line I have is, where do you find the exotic alternate materials such as Mastodon tusk?
I believe there's an acceptable faux tusk/bone material out there; I'm not positive how universal this is, but from the minor amount of searching I've done, if you can't afford morta, you can't afford mastodon or any other type of fossilized bone/ivory...
Nate

Post by Nate »

caskwith wrote:That is not really an area I can help with. I dont really tend to go in for the very exotic materials, most of the things i have are gifts from knifemaking friends. I know Todd uses a lot of ivory etc, maybe he can help?
Ahh, ok. I had seen a few at Chicago this year and thought it was a handsome addition. Thanks!
BeatusLiebowitz wrote:I believe there's an acceptable faux tusk/bone material out there; I'm not positive how universal this is, but from the minor amount of searching I've done, if you can't afford morta, you can't afford mastodon or any other type of fossilized bone/ivory...
This is for future reference, and sad to say in hindsight, I didn't even look at PME yet. They may have something of the sort. I have also heard many museums have more than they can use. I will look into it and report any findings.
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hello,
BeatusLiebowitz wrote:
Nate wrote:The next question along this line I have is, where do you find the exotic alternate materials such as Mastodon tusk?
I believe there's an acceptable faux tusk/bone material out there; I'm not positive how universal this is, but from the minor amount of searching I've done, if you can't afford morta, you can't afford mastodon or any other type of fossilized bone/ivory...
check this: elforyn. Haven't tried it myself, but I know of pipemakers who use it.

regards, Jens
Nate

Post by Nate »

Jos wrote:Hello,
BeatusLiebowitz wrote:
check this: elforyn. Haven't tried it myself, but I know of pipemakers who use it.

regards, Jens
Thank you very much Jens!! Nice stuff! Have you used any of this material?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

For ivory and mastadon:
http://www.ivoryseller.com/

There are some products on the page, but David also does custom cuts depending on your needs. It's usually best to email him with your request to be sure you're getting exactly what you need. A lot of pipe makers and knife makers use David's stuff, and his customer service is second to none.

For synthetics, I recommend these guys:
http://www.exoticblanks.com/

They carry synthetic ivory that looks absolutely great, and their prices are very good as well. Plus Ed and Dawn are good people!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

KurtHuhn wrote:For ivory and mastadon:
http://www.ivoryseller.com/

There are some products on the page, but David also does custom cuts depending on your needs. It's usually best to email him with your request to be sure you're getting exactly what you need. A lot of pipe makers and knife makers use David's stuff, and his customer service is second to none.

For synthetics, I recommend these guys:
http://www.exoticblanks.com/

They carry synthetic ivory that looks absolutely great, and their prices are very good as well. Plus Ed and Dawn are good people!
Very cool, thanks Kurt!! I will go check them out.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Where to find morta for pipes...?

Post by mredmond »

I'll second Kurt's suggestion of exoticblanks.com. I bought some faux ivory after he recommended it in an older thread. I find it very easy to work and when polished it looks nice. It has some creamy yellow flecks in it that give it a nice "grain". I've never worked with real ivory to compare, but it looks nice.

- Micah
Nate

Post by Nate »

mredmond wrote:I'll second Kurt's suggestion of exoticblanks.com. I bought some faux ivory after he recommended it in an older thread. I find it very easy to work and when polished it looks nice. It has some creamy yellow flecks in it that give it a nice "grain". I've never worked with real ivory to compare, but it looks nice.

- Micah
Ahh, very cool. Thanks for sharing your experience with it, sounds like it's a nice material with which to work. They have some great supplies there and seem to be very reasonable. I have purchased pen blanks from WoodCraft, but exotic looks like better quality. Thanks Micah!