Delrin for a churchwarden

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Delrin for a churchwarden

Post by NathanA »

I did a search but didn't find anything on this topic.

Tenon fit and stem flushness(? I guess that makes sense) have been my biggest concerns to date. I have switched to delrin tenons and I think it has solved both issues. One problem it didn't solve is the number of my friends and friends of friends who want churchwardens. Not my favorite thing to make, but then again I have people ordering them up front which is nice from a financial perspective. My question is thus:

I am latheless and drill on a press. The milling vise I use is only about an inch and a half deep. What would you recommend for holding an eight or nine inch stem tightly and straightly, so I can face it and drill it to fit the delrin? My first thoughts were maybe some small tubing the stem would fit in or maybe two pieces of wood with a channel routed down the center, but I thought maybe someone else had already come up with a good fix for this problem.

Thanks everyone for your time.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
DMI

Re: Delrin for a churchwarden

Post by DMI »

A. Find somebody with them for sale :D
B. Had you thought of making them in sections, you could tenon and mortice the joins with a decorative band at each. I did this recently with a stem for a prince, it was all going smoothly until I went through them of the stem.

David
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

i use the bits of wood with the channel routed out. using soft wood is a good idea, it gives more grip. it also may depend on the height of you drill press. even with the hole through the bottom of a vise and vise platform, it may not be long enough.

one thing to make sure of is facing, mortising, and mounting the delrin all without moving the vise or readjusting the stem material. I know this because i've f***ed up to many times to count. I have a problem with fiddling :D
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

bregolad wrote:i use the bits of wood with the channel routed out. using soft wood is a good idea, it gives more grip. it also may depend on the height of you drill press. even with the hole through the bottom of a vise and vise platform, it may not be long enough.
Thanks. That's the route I went and it worked pretty well. With so much stem sticking up out of the vise, I had to use a real slow hand to keep from putting too much torque on it and shaking it around. Thanks for the help.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com