Mini Grinder Question

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
tigercasual

Mini Grinder Question

Post by tigercasual »

Hey guys, I was thinking of trying to modify this...

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-3-Inch-Grin ... 227&sr=1-6

to use as my polishing/sanding station. Does look like a good candidate or am I wasting my time?

Cheers,
Danny
Sasquatch

Re: Mini Grinder Question

Post by Sasquatch »

I'd say you are wasting your time. Small wheels need to run faster for the same effect as a slow running large wheel, and you lose the cooling that occurs on a big wheel. So you are looking at ripping the housing off and hoping you can convert that to a useful size buff and maybe a useful size and shape of sanding wheel, and hoping that the speed works out okay? By the time you are done fooling around to make that thing do anything for you, you'll have spent more time and money than if you just bought a bigger more controlleable unit in the first place, is my guess.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Since it has the flex-shaft handpiece, it wouldn't be a totally useless tool. However, Sas is right - the wheels themselves are too small to be effective.

For that price you can get a 1/3HP 1725 RPM motor that will be great for what you need it to do with the addition of the same (or similar) accessories that you'd need to buy for that grinder. In short, walk on. There are better tools for the job.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
dano_kan

Post by dano_kan »

ive tried it.. don't bother with this one..it looks like a good idea but you'll find it so limiting that you'll be frustrated and not have the fun you think this will give you... grab a 6 inch buffer at least and i think you will be much happier..
Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

For what it's worth, I converted an 8" slow speed grinder (1725 RPM) to a dual sanding disk arrangement or it can be setup as a dual buffer. I purchased mine at Farm and Fleet for $86.00 on sale and they had them at Woodcraft also for the same price. I couldn't have asked for a better setup in a heavy use situation.

Regards,
Kevin