Any fellow Texans near Dallas?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

Hey guys,

Just checking to see if there are any fellow Texans that live anywhere near Dallas out there? Also looking to see if there are any smoking groups/events anywhere close by.

Cheers,
Danny
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Any fellow Texans near Dallas?

Post by Tyler »

tigercasual wrote:Hey guys,

Just checking to see if there are any fellow Texans that live anywhere near Dallas out there? Also looking to see if there are any smoking groups/events anywhere close by.

Cheers,
Danny

There is a pipe club in the area: DFW Pipe Club. I was quite active 7 or 8 years ago, but I think it has waned of late. For information: http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/DFWPi ... =dir&slk=1

There are also a few pipe makers in this area, Bob Gilbert (staffwalker) of this forum for one. Hopefully Bob will chime in when he sees this thread and have some more information.

Welcome!

Tyler
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

I am in Waxahachie (and work in Dallas). Just starting my second year of making pipes and it is going well so far. Don't know anything about pipe clubs/events, though.

Tim
http://www.handcraftedpipes.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

I live in Denton. The DFW Club went belly-up a few years back, I think the year after Tyler visited, I'm sure it was coincidental though. :) Colin Rigsby, (last name may not be spelled right), also makes pipes, I think he's been making about as long as I have, four years. Colin started a small pipe club in Lewisville about three years back. We meet 7PM on the third Tuesday at Up in Smoke at the Lewisville mall. Come to the next one on 19 Oct. We usually have about 7-10 people there. bob gilbert
christopherthaley

Post by christopherthaley »

Hadn't logged in a while--but apparently just in time. I live in East Dallas

I'm quite new at this myself, having just finished my second start-to-finish pipe.

I don't know about events or anything like that; but it's starting to seem like there's enough of us in Dallas that we ought to get together for a beer and smoke sometime.

Peace.
"Only the brave return to the source"--Hölderlin
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

Hey Tyler, Bob, Tim, George and Christopher, pleased to meet you. I just tracked down and joined thebriarclub on yahoo groups- thanks Bob! That looks like fun.

I am certainly interested in meeting pipe smokers/ pipe crafters, so if any of you guys ever find yourselves in Dallas- or if Chris ever finds himself near Oak Cliff- consider this and open invitation.

Cheers,
Danny
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

staffwalker wrote:I live in Denton. The DFW Club went belly-up a few years back, I think the year after Tyler visited, I'm sure it was coincidental though. :)
Hey now! I was actually a member of the club at one point. I've always thought the decline was caused by my failure to renew my membership!
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Tyler wrote:
staffwalker wrote:I live in Denton. The DFW Club went belly-up a few years back, I think the year after Tyler visited, I'm sure it was coincidental though. :)
Hey now! I was actually a member of the club at one point. I've always thought the decline was caused by my failure to renew my membership!
On second thought, it might have been my joining the club which caused it's demise. I think I was a member two months before a collective gasp was heard as it died. :oops:
CedarSlayer

Post by CedarSlayer »

Used to live near White Rock Lake, but now I live near the first Bush library. I hear you guys have gotten one of them too now. Those things seem to get around.

Bob
I would rather look stupid today, than be stupid tomorrow.

http://toolmakingart.com/
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

CedarSlayer wrote:Used to live near White Rock Lake, but now I live near the first Bush library. I hear you guys have gotten one of them too now. Those things seem to get around.

Bob
It's temporarily located in Louisville, there has been a massive legal battle over the one that is to be built near SMU.
catnhat287

Post by catnhat287 »

im new at this myself , live near wichita fall tx . just proud to be here!!!!!! :D
jdkearns

Post by jdkearns »

I'm in Plano, and would love to either help start a new pipe club or revive an existing one. I'm also interested in sharing pipe making techniques... and since I have no technique, I mean to say I'm interested in having you impart ANY knowledge to me!

I've got a small shop in the garage and would love maybe start a roving seminar with a few folks at the very least... if anyone is interested.

Doesn't Edward also live in Dallas (I think that's on his profile)?

Nice to meet y'all by the way.

John
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

I live in the Waco area (Hewitt). Only have limited tooling. Micro lathe for stem work.
Michael Labo
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I'm in Canyon, TX near Amarillo...

A bit far from the DFW area though.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Doesn't Edward also live in Dallas
I'm near 635 & 75.
Theres four of us on another forum planning a get together next month. We'll probably meet somewhere around Plano if anyone here wants to get in the loop.
Not a formal club type meeting, just getting together somewhere with an outdoor patio for a meal, a couple beers and a smoke.
jdkearns

Post by jdkearns »

I'd love to! Please let me know when and where and what to bring,

John
jdkearns

Post by jdkearns »

Ocelot55 wrote:I'm in Canyon, TX near Amarillo...

A bit far from the DFW area though.
I thought it was Canyon as in Canyon Lake... Amarillo is a fer piece (not that Canyon Lake isn't) - damn its a big State!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

When you consider that Texas is probably bigger than half of the other countries in the world it makes more sense. Hell, one county in TX is about the size of Kurt's whole state (RI).
Alden

Post by Alden »

Hey John, send me your email address in a pm.
Right now we dont have any plans set in stone.
We know theres gonna be beer and smoking, beyond that the details get fuzzy :D