Shellac ?????

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Sully

Shellac ?????

Post by Sully »

Can anybody point me in right direction what type of shellac can I use on pipe It's a blast

Thanks
Sasquatch

Re: Shellac ?????

Post by Sasquatch »

Well.... shellac. It's all basically the same stuff, hardened bug spit or something.

This is different than lacquer, varathane, etc.

You buy it either premixed or as a flake, dissolve it in methyl alcohol. You can buy more or less expensive stuff, and basically this relates to how clear or dark it is. Clear "super blonde" shellac is really expensive. Button-lac, the black looking junk, is really cheap.

I often use "orange" shellac, sort of a midgrade, in something like a 5 lb cut (5 lb/gallon). Once it's mixed, it's easy to thin out if you need, and as with most things in life, a couple very thin coats is way better than one thick coat.

The Zinsser spray shellac is full of weird chemicals, is very sticky and doesn't dry real well, I don't recommend it. If you can get flakes from a woodworking or hobby store, that's the way to go.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

https://www.woodessence.com/Dry-Shellac-P54.aspx

This kinda thing is what you are looking for.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

I got a chunk from this place big enough to last me years for a reasonable price. Good quality. I don't actually remember which one I bought at this point. It is fairly light and works great.

http://www.shellac.net/
Regards,
Tim
Sully

Post by Sully »

Thanks guys
Looks like I need to read more, I'm sure I 'll be back with more ???