Delta Belt/Disk Sander

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
RadDavis

Delta Belt/Disk Sander

Post by RadDavis »

I'm posting this in stummels since there have been several threads lately about squaring blocks and this particular tool can be very useful for that. You can also shape stems on the belt.

I went to Lowes today, and saw a Delta belt/disk sander (1" X 42" belt and 8" disk). I asked the price and it's normally $99.00 but they had it on sale for $59.00! I bought one.

I don't know if this is their price nationally, but it's a great price and a chance to pick up a brand new one at a "used" price.

Rad
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

Besides using the disc to square up blocks, you will find that you can do a lot of things with the 1" belt. I use mine constantly.

Mike
stdly

Post by stdly »

RadDavis,
Wow $59 good deal. I do not have a belt sander as yet and have found many times it would have been nice and easy. It should make roughing faster for you. Squaring the blocks on the disk, a bonus for sure.
Enjoy both for what they are!
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

i also us a delta, but not to square up the blocks i just use the belt to rough sand the pipe and stem into the shape i want. I use a 12" disc sander attachment on my shopsmith to square up all my blocks. the delta will work for this though unless you have some larger blocks t may be a problem.

Just make sure on the delta if you use it alot to listen for the bearings to squeal. when they do, take them off and clean them in a solvent then oil em up and that should fix it. i burned one up last year after using it to make about 200-250 pipes over a 2 1/2 yr per and then it went. The bearings were shot in the roller wheels.
stdly

Post by stdly »

BriarBrian wrote:Just make sure on the delta if you use it alot to listen for the bearings to squeal. when they do, take them off and clean them in a solvent then oil em up and that should fix it. i burned one up last year after using it to make about 200-250 pipes over a 2 1/2 yr per and then it went. The bearings were shot in the roller wheels.
I wonder why they would not use a sealed bearing and could you not replace them with sealed bearings. The sealed ones are about 20-30% more than an open bearing but usually worth the extra. There are sheilded as well these usaully have a black material on the outer sides and the seal have a silver seals. Usually all bearings will be avaliable in these 3 types.
Regards,
Steve J

BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

you know i thought the same thing, it looks like they tried to make them as sealed as possible but briar dust gets into everything and maybe thats why the bearings went on me. I do have a shop vac hooked up to the sander but it still gets pretty caked up inside with briar dust. wish i could find some sealed bearings for mine it would help. sometimes it only takes a few pipes and the thing is squealing again.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I bought the same one but all they had left was the display. I ordered a couple parts from delta... with the shipping and such it ended up costing about 80 bucks but i still figure is was a good enough deal. They had it listed at my lowes as normaly being 125.00

What is nice about it is it has an 8 inch disk rather than a 5 or 6.
stdly

Post by stdly »

BriarBrian wrote:wish i could find some sealed bearings for mine it would help. sometimes it only takes a few pipes and the thing is squealing again.
The sealed bearings are readily available. I am sure some sizes are not available but I have never had a trouble getting what I needed to date. Call your local bearing supply companies, I would imagine some of them sell retail (cash). You just need the dimensions off the original one. Also if there is a number on the bearing these are fairly universal and can be cross reference very easily. Spend the extra on say an NSK or Timken and ask them about sealed not shielded. It may be this type of bearing is not avaliable at that RPM but usually these bearing are used in manufacturing to keep costs down.

One other thing is to make sure they know the application for the bearing if there are no numbers on the old ones. The RPM is very important.

If you cannot buy from your local I could probably help you out.
Regards,
Steve J

BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

thanks for the help guys, i knew i can get the bearings its just that the bearing is moulded inside the platic roller that the belt runs on , i dont think you can get the bearing out to replace it. so you would have to find a bearing that is sealed and has been moulded inside a wheel?
stdly

Post by stdly »

BriarBrian wrote:thanks for the help guys, i knew i can get the bearings its just that the bearing is moulded inside the platic roller that the belt runs on , i dont think you can get the bearing out to replace it. so you would have to find a bearing that is sealed and has been moulded inside a wheel?
Are you sure it is moulded in or just press fit? If moulded I guess they are hoping it lasts through the warranty at least. Because to replace the whole roller would be a better money making service call after the warranty expires and probably easier.
Regards,
Steve J