hand cut tobacco chamber

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
e Markle

Re: hand cut tobacco chamber

Post by e Markle »

...and sanding discs...
Leus

Post by Leus »

I think we can all agree "to each its own." I don't care for either brands, since (and I based my judgement from photographs only) they don't look special at all. However, we can always learn something from the tooling and setups of the mass producing pipe shops -- for example, I loved the first video little sanding pads and the buffing station. From the second link... well, I don't know what I learned except that I would love to have a revolver lathe. Don't know what for, but that's secondary.
zack

Post by zack »

My first pipe was a Mario Grandi and I loved it, it is a fantastic pipe like stated its a bit large but hey I'm a large guy. Plus there low cost make them good for a first pipe for someone just wanting to see if they like it.
potholer

Post by potholer »

pipeguy

Being new to the forums and a wood turner, I have just watched the video you posted. The tools that the guy is using are scrapers and not gouges.

Some other observations come to mind as well:
1. that using another tool as an extension tool rest is a recipe for disaster and as can be seen on the vid leads to the chattering of the tool against the work piece.
2. using gouges instead of scrapers is more efficient as razor sharp gouges cut better than the raised burr on a scraper.
3. you would need to use a small gouge for the tobacco chamber such as micro/pen tools or a 1/4 inch bowl gouge
4. laying out the bowl area for turning would be essential for consistent results e.g drilling pilot holes for chamber depth and scribing the chamber diametre.

These are just my humble observations proffered humbly
potholer
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

I just saw this topic.

I hand cut my chambers at my woodlath as well, not using this method of course.

It's really great cause I can make danish or conical shape chambers, in the diameter I want with the same tool, and then sand with a 400 grit sandpaper.
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

I cut them with chisels and get all kinds of fun shapes like rectangles and cones.
taharris

Post by taharris »

potholer wrote:pipeguy

Being new to the forums and a wood turner, I have just watched the video you posted. The tools that the guy is using are scrapers and not gouges.

Some other observations come to mind as well:
1. that using another tool as an extension tool rest is a recipe for disaster and as can be seen on the vid leads to the chattering of the tool against the work piece.
2. using gouges instead of scrapers is more efficient as razor sharp gouges cut better than the raised burr on a scraper.
3. you would need to use a small gouge for the tobacco chamber such as micro/pen tools or a 1/4 inch bowl gouge
4. laying out the bowl area for turning would be essential for consistent results e.g drilling pilot holes for chamber depth and scribing the chamber diametre.

These are just my humble observations proffered humbly
potholer
I agree. As a wood turner I can't think of a reason not to use your tool rest that way it was intended. You get a much better cut. (Although, I think that a secondary tool is used for a tool rest when doing hand chased threads).

My process is similar to the first video in that I do most of my shaping on a wood lathe. But I use a 1/2" and 3/8" bowll gouge to do the outside shaping.

For the chamber I use a spade bit mounted on a Jacob's chuck in the tailstock.

Todd