Gifford Gets a Sander

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
dgifford99

Gifford Gets a Sander

Post by dgifford99 »

Greetings y'all!

I am a total newbie on making, and am getting started.

made the first two out of Pimo Ebachoun's and was pleased with #2. #1 looked like a cooling tower from a nuke plant. #1 smoked hot and #2 (a bent) smokes quite nicely

here is the sander bit. Got a belt/disc sander combo from the harbor freight. it was on sale and so trigger was pulled.

put it together (be advised the instructions are not great, but ok). I had compared this to a unit from woodcrafter and had hands on both of them, the only difference is the color and the fact that the HF unit was about half the price.

fired up and was going to reduce the height of the tower.

FIRST Trimmed about an inch off with a coping saw

SECOND put bowl top to sander

THIRD I THOUGHT I was using very light pressure. Pipe now looks like a "tatoo"

FOURTH Found a sand pit that shredded the remainder.

FIFTH The sander works great, removes material about 100 times faster than a dremel and drum.

The sander is fast, quiet and seems to do the job quite nicely. THOU SHALT NOT DO CLOSE SHAPING WITH BELT OR DISC.

Learned the following

thou shalt not do close shaping with belt or disc. will rough it out, then go dremel and hand.

thou shalt shop for lathe and drill press.

even though the pipe ended up as a stump with a stem, i am holding it as it now is a roadmap for what not to do and what works.

Thanks for listening!

Moral: shop like it is your money. touch all, take it apart in the store (yes, i did this) then get the deal.

I am very happy with the sander, she is fast at removing material. LET THE LEARNIN BEGIN.

SEMPER FI
Charl

Re: Gifford Gets a Sander

Post by Charl »

Lesson 2: Do it with 10 pipes - you'll get better. Do it with 100 - you wont even notice anymore!
dgifford99

Post by dgifford99 »

Thank you Sir, and THAT is officially part of the plan

appreciate any and ALL advice, comments and words
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

This post reminds me of when I got my bandsaw. "JESUS now I destroy pipes REALLY FAST!!!"
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!