Drill press lathe?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Dixie_piper

Drill press lathe?

Post by Dixie_piper »

Any opinions on this little contraption? Grizzly sales one version, and a smaller version is available through another company.
For the price ($22) I figure it's at least worth a try?
I'm hoping to use one for fancy stems and whatnot To make due until I get my hands on an actual lathe.
I know it would only be useful for small rod stock (if that) just wondering if any here has tried one. Thanks!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
CastAxe

Re: Drill press lathe?

Post by CastAxe »

Link?
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Dixie, in theory, that should work.

Now, do you know the difference between theory and practice?

In theory, theory and practice are the same.

In practice, they are not!

:D
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

My thoughts...... which aren't worth much........... You get what you pay for! $22???? :wink:
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Sas, I hear that part loud and clear. Believe you me, life gives that lesson all too often. Hence my theory that if this doesn't even serve worthy of practice, I'm only out a minimal amount of cash, and I'm sure someone I know will want it if it's not what I hope it'll be :thumbsup: for a small fee, of course.

I know I'll get what I pay for, a setup that spins roundstock fast and true enough to add a touch of personality to it :) if it doesn't work, at least I'll know so I can warn the next sucker :lol:
I still think it's worth a shot. Did anyone look at it? It's on Grizzly and PennStateindustries websites. I like it :)

CastAxe, I don't have the link but yo can search the term "drill press lathe" and the grizzly site will throw a link up :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
CastAxe

Post by CastAxe »

NICE! if only i had a drill press :(
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Only reason I've got one is because I found it at the Jockey lot, $33. May not last long, but it'll do for now.
There's no shame in using second hand tools, if there was eBay and craigslist wouldn't be so packed with them ;)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That particular thing is only really good for turning spindles - things like finials, pens/pencils, chair stretchers, etc. It is not at all well suited to pipe work, not even for stems due to the way the workpiece is fastened to the tool.

Plus it will make you insane, contributes to global warming, comes with a storage bag made of live baby seals, is lubricated with whale oil, and provides material support to known terrorist organizations. :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah but is there any reason not to buy it?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

KurtHuhn wrote:That particular thing is only really good for turning spindles - things like finials, pens/pencils, chair stretchers, etc. It is not at all well suited to pipe work, not even for stems due to the way the workpiece is fastened to the tool.

Plus it will make you insane, contributes to global warming, comes with a storage bag made of live baby seals, is lubricated with whale oil, and provides material support to known terrorist organizations. :twisted:
Well, it'd be a trip in reverse to get back to simply insanity, I think cold weather is over rated, if the seals can clap they'll make great party favors (if not I'll just send them clubbin) if they used the oil from the head of a white whale, well, my mother in law got what she deserved :twisted:

All jokes aside, here's an excerpt from PIMO's pipe making guide; pg 91 Chpt 14.1 "Only natural waxes should be used: white refined beeswax, spermacetti, a white wax from the HEAD OF A WHALE,..." Terrorist oranization huh? :lol:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)