I'm back (finally with my PIMO kit)

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
omar_colocci

I'm back (finally with my PIMO kit)

Post by omar_colocci »

Hey guys!

It's been a long time! Finally last week I've put my hands on my first PIMO kit. Everything was ok (despite I suspect I requested a tapered stem and they sent me a saddle one, but I'm not sure), but a huge disapointment was the churchwarden stem I included in the order.

It is a poorly molded piece of plastic and no way that is ebonite. I was also requested extra $5.00 so they would fit the stem to the kit, but nothing has been done to it. The stem gave a false impression of a poor fit caused by high relief number on the tenon from the original molding (a proof that nothing has been done to it). When I sanded the number out the stem was not able to fit nor the kit or any other pipe I have. Ok, about $9.00 into the garbage can. :(

Ok, not enough to take me down! :D

As soon as I start working on it I'll let you know about the progress I eventually make. 8O :D
Regards,

Omar Colocci
stdly

Post by stdly »

Exactly the reason I started buying briar blocks and stems in the first place . It is the way to start (the kit) I think, so let us see what becomes of it will you and good luck with it but most of all enjoy yourself.
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hey buddy! Long time no see.

Gad to hear you're finally getting to put hand to wood.
Lakemonster

Post by Lakemonster »

I was also requested extra $5.00 so they would fit the stem to the kit, but nothing has been done to it........... Ok, about $9.00 into the garbage can.
Unfortunately...... I have found that special requests arent their specialty.

Hows your block? I always wondered if they "cherry picked" for the kits.
some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

http://pipesmith.info
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Glad you are back Omar.

Do take photos, as we want to see your results. Even photos along the way are fun to see.

Sorry to hear of your ordering issues. That has got to be a real disappoinment! :( I'd contact Pimo with your complaint if I was you.

As for the churcwarden stem, you might be surprised to find that it IS vulcanite. Of course, I haven't seen it, so I can't say definitively, but cheap molded vulcanite stems look terrible before they are polished up.

Have fun with the kit!

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

Omar,

As far as I know, Pimo does not have a Lucite churchwarden stem. I think Tyler hit on it, that the stem just looks ugly and even a bit rippled. You'll find that with some sanding (220, 360, and 400) and buffing that the stem will look wonderful.

Jeff
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Omar,

I will account for the churchwarden stem from PIMO. I ordered the very same stem and was also kind of shocked by it's rough look. If you look at the pipe I have in my section of the photo gallery, it has this stem on it. You have to knock down the seams a good bit and do a considerable amount of sanding, but when it is all said and done it should turn out fine.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
omar_colocci

Post by omar_colocci »

Tyler wrote:(...)
Sorry to hear of your ordering issues. That has got to be a real disappoinment! :( I'd contact Pimo with your complaint if I was you.
Tyler
Well, it would work for the simple purpose of making them know they messed things up but the cost of and eventual replacement is not worth of it.

Maybe I do it in a near future. Not in the mood for a polite reply right now, so I'd better be quiet :)

Still trying to think of something to do with the kit. Not a clear view of anything in particular looking at it so far (ok, had't have time for a good look so far). I'm not in tune with the "pipemaking Force". :D

May the Bowl be with you...
Regards,

Omar Colocci
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Omar,

That churchwarden stem actually is vulcanite, but it's really rough. Tim West sells the same stems for far less, so it's a better deal. The trick with those stems is sanding - lots of it. Also, bend before you sand - otherwise you need to sand the entire thing over again. Start with 220 and work up from there. It will come out rather nice when you're finished with it.

Also, those churchwarden stems have a tenon that, as it sits unfinished, is around 5/16". However, sand off the raised lettering and you have something that's slightly less than 5/16", but bigger than 1/4". I usually take these tenons down to 1/4" and use a 1/4" mortis to make them fit. Unfortunately, if your kit has the typical PIMO mortis/tenon, it's probably about 3/8", and isn't going to be easy to fit that churchwarden stem to that block.

I have considered making kits pre-fit with churchwarden stems, since nobody else seems to do that. I don't know if there's a big enough market to make it worthwhile though....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com