Lathe Accessories

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Dixie_piper

Re: Lathe Accessories

Post by Dixie_piper »

I figured it was something like that, I compared the specs side by side, only difference is the Fox shop put the amperage on the same line as the watts (or something like that) and Grizzly gave the amperage it's own bullet. So that's what jacked the price up, bullets are expensive nowadays don't ya know? :lol:
All joking aside, I've come to realize that online reviews anywhere but amazon are selective in which gets posted.
Like the grizzyl drill press lathe has rave reviews everywhere but amazon, on amazon it's refered to as a safety hazard. I also realized the PSI version is half the size with an adjustable tool rest. Not trying to re-open that subject, just saying it's easy to over look certain things when excited.
Hell, there are people buying that "14 X 40 industrial variable speed, blah blah blah" lathe like crazy, and it weighs less than a mini lathe, steel tubed frame, and is "portable?"
I've seen that lathe listed on eBay for anywhere from $130-$185, and it's the same $@#! lathe amazon has for $89
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
CastAxe

Post by CastAxe »

Im noticing that the Jet JML-1014I: 10"x14" Mini Lathe, and the Rikon 1216 1/2HP are the same price, is there any difference in quality or performance?
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

CastAxe wrote:Im noticing that the Jet JML-1014I: 10"x14" Mini Lathe, and the Rikon 1216 1/2HP are the same price, is there any difference in quality or performance?
I'll bet they're identical. Rikon has an unfortunate name, but Woodcraft sells and supports them, and I've heard very good things about their tools.
Dixie_piper wrote:Hell, there are people buying that "14 X 40 industrial variable speed, blah blah blah" lathe like crazy, and it weighs less than a mini lathe, steel tubed frame, and is "portable?"
I've seen that lathe listed on eBay for anywhere from $130-$185, and it's the same $@#! lathe amazon has for $89
Even for $89 that lathe is a waste of money and sanity. Did I mention it also comes with a dust cover made of baby seal pelts, and purchasing it provides material support to known terrorist organizations? :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Hmm... baby seals... terrorists...
Sounds vaguely familar :lol:
Now if they suggest the use of "the oil from a white whale's head," I'm sure it would be safe to contact your loal authorities, just for safety ya know ;)
I've heard elsewhere that these motor are labeled with some afghani name, Bin Laden? They're sales are raising funds for his next haircut & shave :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
CastAxe

Post by CastAxe »

Does anyone know about craftsman lathes? The one i am looking at is about fifty bucks cheaper than a Jet or a rikon.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Is it a wood lathe or metal lathe? I think Sherline and Craftsman lathes are synonymous, 6 one, half a dozen the other
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

A few things to look at before purchasing any lathe;
Maxinmum swing distance: 6"+
Distance between centers: most say 20" + remember, this distance needs to be pretty big for drilling airways and whatnot (at least 2X the maximum length of you're shank or stem to allow room for the drill bit)
Amperage: less amps means bogging down, and briar is (or so I'm told) a hard wood to carve so watch out here)

That's the main points that come to mind. Oh, and frame construction, needs to be cast iron for rigidity. I looked up one craftsman lathe for I think $180, and it had like 2 amps, 15" between centers, no spec on max swing over bed and weight like 12 lbs I think? They don't even list bowl turning as an option, so I'd guess it's a short swing over bed.
Got a model name/number for an one in particular?
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

CastAxe wrote:Does anyone know about craftsman lathes? The one i am looking at is about fifty bucks cheaper than a Jet or a rikon.
Got a link? I need to see it to give my opinion.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
CastAxe

Post by CastAxe »

Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Looks like a pretty good deal to me, but then again, I am the village idiot :lol: so take my words with a grain of salt.
That's a whole helluva lot better than the craftsman I found :thumbsup:
See if you can find any reviews online, and use them in junction with what the pro's here have to say.
Good luck! :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's probably a decent lathe. It looks fairly identical to all the other 12x16 wood lathes out there. It's got a standard spindle thread and taper, so it should accept all the standard accessories.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com