Pipes by Mark S

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
marks

Pipes by Mark S

Post by marks »

OK, I have broken bad and created my own home page at AOL. It is a very simple page, but I have several of my pipes on the page with some explanation of each pipe.

Please feel free to look at them, and I welcome any and all feedback (yes, I want the good, the bad, and the ugly). Thanks for taking a look.

The link is

http://hometown.aol.com/jmbspell/myhomepage/index.html

Please let me know if you have any trouble getting to this page.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

marks,

As you know, I have seen several of the pipes on your site already, and have been impressed.

Pipes 2 and 5 are, to my eye, the best executed pipes. 5 is particularly impressive from the standpoint of execution. I would highlight how well cut in the shank is at the bowl. Very nice.

Pipe number 6 has tons of potential, but I think the shank/bowl transition would benefit from more definition. It also appears from the photo that the shank of 6 gets slightly smaller in the middle before flaring out ever so slightly at the stem/shank meeting point. It then continues is a consistent diameter before tapering to the bit. Though it is clear not all makers think this to be true -- because so many don't do it -- I think a pipe looks MUCH better that has a consistent taper over the length of the stem. I don't particularly like stems that are a constant diameter for a time then suddenly taper down to the bit.

Pipe 7 has a very nice and well done bowl. I know that the shank is an intentional experiment based on a Cooke pipe you saw and liked, but I must confess I don't particularly like it. It can see that you did a nice job with it though. One thing that is a little strange on the stem is an apparent step about half way between the bit and shank. I think it would look better without the step.

Pipe 4 looks to have a very nice bowl, and a nicely done saddle bit. I appears from the photo that it could be improved with some more definition between the shank and bowl, similar to pipe 6.

Pipe 2 is a very impressive first pipe. I appears to deserve all the attention it gets when you walk around smoking it. Well done.

I hope those comments are helpful, and keep up the good carving!

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
marks

Post by marks »

Thanks for the feedback Tyler!! Some of your comments were exactly the same as Paul Tatum's when I showed them to him. Funny how you guys that have been making pipes for a while spot the same things.

Hopefully, I can work out the bugs on my next few pipes.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

marks,

One thing I forgot to mention. I sure would like to see some other views of your pipes. One can tell a lot more about a pipe when seen from another angle.

Perhaps I say this because I can never get too many pipe pics. :)

Tyler
marks

Post by marks »

Sorry Tyler, those are the only pics I've got of those pipes. In fact, I even had to borrow my neighbor's digital camera to take those with. He was nice enough to loan me his camera and burn a cd for me. And I thought I was done buying things when I got the Taig lathe.

However, I will do you one better than pictures. I noticed on another post that you were planning on being in Richmond this year. I'll bring the pipes to the show and show them to you personally when you get a spare moment or two. Hopefully, I will have a couple of new one's to show you as well.

I'm also planning on being at the TAPS show in Raleigh on the 24th of this month.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Good deal marks!

Perhaps the most valuable learning times I have had in pipe making were times spent with makers at the Chicago show last year. Having them look over my pipes and make comments on this and that was invaluable.

Tyler
marks

Post by marks »

I got to spend some time with John Eells and Jim Cooke last year and got some excellent advice from both of them. They were very nice to talk to. I also spoke with Sam Learned and Tom Eltang, but did not get the chance to ask too many questions of them. Hopefully, I can get that chance this year. I did buy a pipe from Sam, though.

Of course, Paul Tatum has been invaluable in my learning experience. I am fortunate to live close to him, and I am very fortunate that he has been willing to share information. I just have to apply what I have learned. The hard part for me at this point in my pipe carving is to make my hands produce what my mind envisions. Even when my mind and hands don't do the same thing, it has been a very fun and rewarding process.

Also, this forum has given me a lot of very valuable information (thanks for hosting it Tyler). Sometimes, it takes a while for things to sink in to my brain, and in addition to learning some new things, points that Paul mentioned to me have been reinforced here. Hopefully, my skills and my pipes will continue to improve.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Isn't it great to interact with other makers? Certainly this board is fun, that is why I created it, but in person is great.

I envy the fact that you have a pipe maker close to you with whom can get together and discuss pipe making. What a treat.

I look forward to Richmond, seeing your work, and hearing you thoughts on how I might improve my work!

Tyler
marks

Post by marks »

Yes, I am fortunate to have a pipemaker close to me. I am even more fortunate that he is so willing to share information with me, and that he let me use his tools till I acquired enough of my own. Unfortunately, he is inactive at the present time due to his full time occupation, but he is planning on making a lot of pipes this summer. It has been a lot of fun for me learning what it takes to make a high quality pipe, and I really appreciate his generosity.

I too look forward to meeting you in Richmond. I am quite sure that you will be the teacher and I the student, though.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Don't think for a second that my motives for wanting to talk to you in Richmond -- and in the same vein starting this board -- aren't selfish! I am ALWAYS trying to learn about pipes, and everyone has something to offer.

As for Paul, I understand he is studying Mechanical Engineering right now. That would mose definitely put a cramp in one's pipe making!

Tyler
marks

Post by marks »

Usually when I see one of your pipes, I just say "Wow". Hopefully, I will untie my tongue long enough to say something else. By the way, your Sully Pipe is particularly impressive.

Regarding Paul, he is supposed to have some time this summer to make pipes. Hopefully, he will let me stop by and be underfoot a couple of times. It is really impressive to watch someone who really knows what they are doing.