Hand Scribing Pipes

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Mike Messer

Hand Scribing Pipes

Post by Mike Messer »

I have been hand scribing my initial and the year along with the stamp on the shank of my pipes. I am using a 2 MM Drafting Lead Holder (Pencil), but instead of pencil lead, I'm using the shank from a #44 drill bit, .086" nominal, (measures .085" 2.16 MM), sharpened with a point of about .01 " (0.25 MM) diameter, and polished.
It makes a very fine line and works good for pulling lines, but will gouge if pushing lines.

I've tried the dremel type engravers and don't much like the results, Any other options for hand scribing?
Dixie_piper

Re: Hand Scribing Pipes

Post by Dixie_piper »

Somewhere on the forum here there's a similar question, and stamping was suggested. It gives a name of who to contact to make them and all that, pretty nifty results if I remember right
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Dixie_piper wrote:Somewhere on the forum here there's a similar question, and stamping was suggested. It gives a name of who to contact to make them and all that, pretty nifty results if I remember right
I have that address:
A & M Steel Stamps
amsteelstamps@yahoo.com

I have a 3/8" diameter stamp from A&M. They do really nice work.
After I stamp the pipe, I hand scribe the initial M. in the middle of the circle, and then hand scribe the year under the stamp.

But, I've seen some pipemakers who don't use a stamp at all.
They just hand scribe the whole thing, like:
http://www.mrhydepipes.com/
He's really talented, too, I just looked, again. Looks like he works with minimal tools, living in an apartment. It's kind of encouraging to new pipemakers, or discouraging, depending on how you look at it.
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

Mike Messer wrote:But, I've seen some pipemakers who don't use a stamp at all.
They just hand scribe the whole thing, like:
http://www.mrhydepipes.com/
He's really talented, too, I just looked, again. Looks like he works with minimal tools, living in an apartment. It's kind of encouraging to new pipemakers, or discouraging, depending on how you look at it.
Thanks for the talented indeed :thumbsup:
I do live in a flat, but I built a 3ft soundproof wall for avoiding complications with my neighborhood. Two year already gone and no struggling :rockon:

And about the minimal tools... I waiting for the delivery of a lathe :D
Anyway, a lathe is pretty useless for engraving... I tried some Dremel bit, but none could give me the precision of my home solution.
I'm using it since long time and it'll get replaced on the day I can buy a laser engraver.

Here is a little How-to:
Image Image Image Image Image Image

... why that discouraging!?
Like this; make a plan, keep the focus and get there... or there somehow :?

eder.
Pipes of inspiration...
by Eder Mathias
http://mrhydepipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

That's pretty sweet Eder! Thanks for sharing!
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

eder wrote: ... why that discouraging!?
Like this; make a plan, keep the focus and get there... or there somehow :?
eder.
...I was half-kidding when I said, "discouraging." But the idea is, that you are so good, you're imposible to compete with, that sort of thing...

Very interesting How-To, and great pipes, Eder, seriously, great pipes.

Best of luck to you,
M.M.
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

Mike Messer wrote:
eder wrote: ...I was half-kidding when I said, "discouraging." But the idea is, that you are so good, you're imposible to compete with, that sort of thing...
I'm trying to get professorial on pipemaking. It's pretty hard, really!
To make a nice pipe is not that difficult. But to make it over and over again is an achievement.
I wish I can get can get there!

My best wishes to you too; paraphrasing Walle... partner competitor ;)

eder.
Pipes of inspiration...
by Eder Mathias
http://mrhydepipes.com
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Wow, Eder,
You constantly amaze me. I would have never even thought to ask you about how you do your engraving because your stamp looks so pro, I thought you just had a laser engraver or you just send it out to be engraved. But this is a nice, easy (well, I'm sure it takes some practice), no-nonsense solution that you can really personalize. Thanks for the tip, for sharing your creativity with all of us, and, as always, for the inspiration. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com