Subtle shaping qualities defining an apple

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Dixie_piper

Subtle shaping qualities defining an apple

Post by Dixie_piper »

Not having a very keen eye as many here do, I'm at a quandary with what subtle differences define as "apple" as opposed to an egg and other similar styles.
My thinking is the bottom 1/3 is pretty much a ball, the middle is like an egg only a bit straighter, and the top 1/3 is like a brandy with "the belt loosened" but not to the point of a billiard?
I'm looking to shape a "classic" type apple... sort of. Or is this one of those shapes that have a lot of wiggle room? The apples I find online to compare vary GREATLY from one maker to the next. Any advice is greatly appreciated fellers, thanks :thumbsup:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Subtle shaping qualities defining an apple

Post by KurtHuhn »

An Apple could be described as of the "billiard family", but it's like the fat uncle. If you take a Red Delicious apple, and turn it upside down, that's pretty close. Or, you could take a Macintosh right side up. Or a Fuji, again upside down.

Bottom line: it's a fat, rounded pipe in the bowl.

Got to smokingpipes.com, and search for "apple". You'll get all the various variations.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Dixie_piper wrote:Not having a very keen eye as many here do, I'm at a quandary with what subtle differences define as "apple" as opposed to an egg and other similar styles.
My thinking is the bottom 1/3 is pretty much a ball, the middle is like an egg only a bit straighter, and the top 1/3 is like a brandy with "the belt loosened" but not to the point of a billiard?
I'm looking to shape a "classic" type apple... sort of. Or is this one of those shapes that have a lot of wiggle room? The apples I find online to compare vary GREATLY from one maker to the next. Any advice is greatly appreciated fellers, thanks :thumbsup:
CLICK HERE
This link should be good for you and any others struggling with shapes.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thank you both kindly!
Kurt, thanks for the relativity there! Makes a lot more sense now why it's called an apple :)
Bruce, thanks for the link! That helped as well.
Is that link somewhere in pipedia? If not, I bet it would help answer a lot of questions for many just starting out.
Thanks again guys, question answered :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Few more "slap in the head" questions;
Drilling with the chamber bit, is it normal to see some "tear out" around the rim? Nothing that a chamfer wouldn't take care of, just wanna make sure I'm not screwing up already.
I lack the dozuki saw recommended, any suggestions for a hacksaw blade that may work?
Last is just a curiosity; is there a name for the grain that's basically just a knot, and can that be forewarning of a fissure lying in wait beneath?
Thanks for any help, and I promise one day I'll stop asking stupid questions... maybe :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
CastAxe

Post by CastAxe »

I think that knot or knots you are referring to are called birds eye grain, but i could be wrong. :?
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks, but it's not birdseye that I'm thinking of. It's only right at the "plateauax" point bout 3/4" inside or so.
I would post pics, but my shoddy camera does it no justice even when wet with alcohol :(
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Be fearless! You can't know what under the surface laying in wait. Just make the pipe! :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

True dat, true dat :lol:
I think fear of flubbing up is my biggest issue. So when I get home around 3:30am, I believe I'll throw on a pot of coffee and start hackin away for at least the rough shape :)
Besides that, I have to monk up somewhere, so why not go ahead and get it over with? :lol:
I will admit that I'll most likely start with the less desirable blocks, I really wanna make that birdseye block right :)
One other P.S.- I know what you all mean by "lucky" enough to get good grain, some of this isn't looking so swell :? Ain't nothin but a thang ;)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Dixie, I suggest if you have some blocks that look wonderful, just put them aside. Leave 'em alone until your skills match the material. I've had some magnificent blocks in my short time making pipes, and while it's a pleasure to work such material, in some senses it's also a waste. Particularly in the first... I dunno, 10 pipes or so, the fact is, none of 'em are gonna be any "good", and a year from now you'll be embarrassed to look back at the pipes you were once so proud of.

So save the really incredible blocks for further down the road - practice your shaping, like you say, make the necessary mistakes and the necessary "wobbly" pipes, and then some time in the future, when you can approach the block with some level of mastery, you'll have a few real beauties put up for just such a time.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks Sas! That sounds like a purdy good plan to me :thumbsup:
The odd part here really is taste, I have a certain affection for birds eye and SOME flame grains. I have one semi-small flame grain pipe that I may size up for the churwarden apple pipe.
That whole "following the grain" thing can be tricky, I have another block showing flame grain, straight grain, and BLACH on the 4th side. It's some trippy stuff honestly (briar that is)
Hard to believe I came here with intentions of making pipes from stick and limbs from a Walnut tree! You guys rock! Seriously, if not for the tremendous amount of patience and knowledge exhibited on the board here, I wouldn't even be to the rank of one notch below "village idiot" :lol:
Thanks again folks! :thumbsup:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)