Any experience with this lathe?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
tigercasual

Any experience with this lathe?

Post by tigercasual »

I have a chance to get this lathe...

http://aztoolguy.com/delami.html

for $225 that is in "like new" condition.

Has anyone out there ever owned or used it?

Thanks,
TC
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Re: Any experience with this late?

Post by SimeonTurner »

Delta makes decent wood lathes. That said, it all depends on what your intentions are for pipemaking.

If you want to pursue pipe making even semi seriously, you will be disappointed if you buy that lathe. It will function decently enough for you, but you will be very limited by it (due to size and the fact it is NOT a metal lathe).

That said, if you are just horsing around with pipes and would also spend equal or more time making small decorative bowls, pens, bottle stoppers, etc, this might be just the lathe for you!

If you mean to be serious about pipes, save your money and buy a metal lathe.

:wink:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Any experience with this late?

Post by Tyler »

It's the lathe I have, but then, I'm not too serious. :P

Fwiw, I use it to turn, drill, shape with sanding disks, and buff. Other than that, it's good for nothing. :)

A big metal lathe is certainly a superior tool, but it's also at least 4X's more expensive unless you take a risk on used iron. If you can afford it, buy a metal lathe. I would love a big metal lathe. But that Delta lathe is far better than no lathe at all.

The Delta you link to is not a good stem tool. That is why a metal lathe is superior. A big enough metal lathe will do stummels and stems. In addition to that Delta lathe I have a Taig mini-metal lathe for stems.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Any experience with this late?

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have Jet's version of that lathe, and I find it to be a capable tool for its intended purpose - of being a wood lathe to turn wooden things on. As Tyler said, it's not good for turning stem tenons on. For tenons, it easiest to use delrin if you get this lathe.

That is a good price for that lathe, and it's a good and solidly built lathe. Whether it's good for you and your purposes depends on you alone. :wink:

Another member asked me in PM about a similar lathe and I offered the advice below:
KurtHuhn wrote: It has 1"x8tpi spindle threads, which means that a standard Oneway chuck will thread on without any problem. Just be sure you get the 1"x8tpi chuck. Craft Supplies USA sells the full line of Oneway products. And you actually have a choice there - you can get the full package which includes some chuck jaws, or you can get just the chuck body, and add just the jaws you want. What I would suggest, is to get the body-only package:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... k_no?Args=
Then add the smooth spigot jaws for holding stems and rod stock:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... igot?Args=
Then add the tower jaws:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... jaws?Args=
Doing it this way will same you a few dollars over getting the Oneway chuck package with the #2 profile jaws. If you've got the cash to spend however, it might be worth it to get the package so that you have those other jaws if you need them.

Basically, since you only need two tower jaws to hold a block of briar, that's your "half a set" there. Either sell the other two jaws to another pipe maker, or hold onto them if you think you might need them for other projects. I have a set of regular #2 jaws for holding bowls, platters, etc, so I only have two of the tower jaws.

To complete the set and be ready to make pipes, you're going to want one of these:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... huck?Args=
Get the MT2 version, since your head and tailstock are MT2 taper. That's for holding your drill bits and such, and it can also be mounted in the headstock to holding buffing wheels.

For lathe chisels, I've found two tools that are absolutely required. A fingernail gouge, and a skew. Here's one of each:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200523 ... Gouge.aspx
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200523 ... -Skew.aspx

The skew can be used as a scraper to fine tune the shape of the bowl, or it can be used to "skew" as well. When you "skew" you're holding the skew at an angle to the wood and shaving a thin slice off the wood. Skewing is very difficult to learn, but once you do learn it, it's absolutely invaluable. Do you yourself a favor though - don't try to learn skewing on briar. :)

Here's a good deal on a set with most of the tools your going to want for most projects on the lathe:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200523 ... g-Set.aspx

I'm absolutely in love with Woodcraft's Wood River brand (previously named Pinnacle). The price is excellent, and the quality is superb. It's the only brand of lathe chisel that I buy anymore - and I've bought Crown and Sorby tools in the past.

The fingernail gouge (also called a bowl gouge) is used for roughing in the shape, and it's a very safe tool to use since the cutting point is very small. It won't wander too much, and it's very controllable. DO NOT TRY TO USE A SPINDLE GOUGE ON PIPES - it's very dangerous since the shape of the gouge grabs and has a very wide contact area.

Most of all, it takes practice. Get some maple or something and practice making shapes. Briar works differently, but maple can be had for much less, and helps you learn the tools. Also, if you have a Rockler or Woodcraft in your area, check out their class schedule. Getting some face time with an experienced instructor will give you a good leg up on learning how to use the tools. I actually found some instruction DVDs at my local library, so I went that route since I couldn't afford the class time.

And most of all, ask questions! Don't suffer in silence. If you run across something you can't figure out, it's better to ask than potentially injure yourself. The lathe is dangerous enough as it is. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Re: Any experience with this lathe?

Post by Sasquatch »

I think the answer here depends on budget and intent. Fact is, a brand new pipe maker can have a $4000 lathe and he'll make some ugly pipes. I do all my turning on a very similar unit (I have the Jet mini) and I'm a ... serious hobbyist I guess. If time is money to you in making pipes, buy a big metal lathe and all the gear for it.

Put another way, that lathe is SO much better than no lathe, to me it's worth the 225 bucks and maybe another hundred for some good tools.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

My point is that it really depends. I have slowly worked my way from "making a pipe would be fun" to "making pipes for a living would be a legitimate goal," and so I wish I had started with a metal lathe rather than the cheap Chinese knock off version of the exact lathe we are talking about here. It's been a totally functional tool, and will continue to be, but I need something more.

For someone who knows they aren't planning to do more than dabble, this is a GREAT tool. Like I said...it just depends. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I'm in about the same situation as this fellow here, looking to start out, not sure which direction pipe making will take.
And to be quite honest, as far as the actual tools go, of course a big A metal lathe would be great. But so would a butterscotch pond with chocolate lily pads, but neither of those is feasible at this stage (speaking for myself anyhow) Budget plays a big role for those of us just starting out, buying a large enough metal lathe to get full use in pipe making, is a stretch. To start out spending a couple hundred bucks only to figure out this isn't your forte' ain't too bad. Spending 3-4X that much just for an epic fail, is just not sensible financially.
Least that's my take on it anyhow, but, I've been wrong before.
Damn, now I want butterscotch... :lol:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

Thanks for all of the input and advice guys, it is really appreciated.

Simeon: I probably should've mentioned that space and size are also a big factors for me. I live in a small duplex and will actually be doing my work on my front porch. That means that I need a rig that I can carry in and out. I'm hoping to find shop-space in the near future; barring that I'll just have to move to a place that has a garage just waiting to be converted.That being said, however, your point is well taken.

Again, I really appreciate the help.

Cheers,
TC
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Dixie_piper wrote:And to be quite honest, as far as the actual tools go, of course a big A metal lathe would be great. But so would a butterscotch pond with chocolate lily pads, but neither of those is feasible at this stage
:ROFL:

Coffee, literally, squirted out my nose!

That's the rub for most tool decisions - what can you afford, what works best in your situation, and what do you have space for? If you can afford a 12x36 gunsmith's lathe (my dream) based on the possibility of maybe one day being able to pay for it with proceeds from whatever hobby you undertake using it, and you're comfortable with the distinct possibility of losing your shirt over it when you find out that making pipes ain't your thing (or that you really suck at it), then by all means, tool up!

However, if you're just looking to try things out and see if this might be something you want to do, a 10x14 wood lathe and some questions is a lot easier to justify from a financial standpoint.

I see guys get into this all the time, go out and buy a crapload of tools, then figure out they really don't have time, drive, talent, wherewithal, or whatever else needed to reach the lofty goals and ambitions they've set out for themselves. Before you know it, those tools are listed on craigslist or ebay, and someone like me snaps them up for a song.

In the end, folks have to listen to all the advice they've been given, and base their decisions on their unique set of circumstances.

And I can't believe that, what, seven ( ? ) years later, we're still discussing wood lathe versus metal lathe. It's almost like this discussion is on a 2 year cycle or something. :mrgreen:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

I have to laugh when I step back and take a look at myself out there standing on my porch in a cloud of sawdust and people walk down the sidewalk looking at me as if I'm the local "cat-lady", or when my neighbors basketball comes rolling into my yard, or when my mailman walks up and hands me the mail. Maybe I should wear a hockey mask and get into machete carving!

Having little space, however, did lead me to a mini-revelation. That being... (in it's way) space and the ways in which you utilize it are, in and of themselves, tools. I've never really thought of space as a tool before, but now I can see that it is, in fact, one of the most important tools tools you have.

My grandparents used to live on twenty acres of land out in East Texas and had different workshops/buildings and workspaces set up according to purpose. I would love to be in that situation, but alas... I have to use the tools that I have. Which leads me to two other important tools, your brain, and time. My grandfather probably would've said that attitude is also a very important tool.

In the meantime, I now have Delta Mini-lathe to add to my collection of tools. I'm going over to my local Woodcraft store this afternoon to tool-up on accessories, hopefully I will put them all of them to good use and maximize their potential.

Thanks again for all of the help, guys.

Cheers,
TC
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Good show. Buy the best quality turning tools you can find. Far better to have a few good ones (HSS) than a crappy set. The Henry Taylor Mini set is great and if you add a 1/2" gouge to that, you're ready for pipes.
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

Sasquatch wrote:Good show. Buy the best quality turning tools you can find. Far better to have a few good ones (HSS) than a crappy set. The Henry Taylor Mini set is great and if you add a 1/2" gouge to that, you're ready for pipes.
Hey Sas,

Do you know of a good place to purchase that set?

Thanks,
Danny
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Craft Supplies USA:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... mini?Args=

They've got tons of goodies at really good prices.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Got mine at Lee Valley - http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... ,330,43164

Good quality small tools. Very nice for pipes. I would add a full size 1/2" gouge as well because it's the most usefull all-purpose tool.