Hello from Richmond!

General pipe discussion
Tyler
Site Supporter

Hello from Richmond!

Post by Tyler »

I though you guys might like to know that you are missing a great time here in Richmond. 8)

Pipes everywhere. Pipe makers everywhere.

It is a good day when Eltang, Todd, Lindner, Ruthenberg, Rolando, Learned, Chuck Stanion, and many others take a look at your pipes and offer their comments. I am learning a lot of great stuff, and am pleased to be enjoying it all immensely.

It is also a good day when you get to put so many faces with names and friends here on the forum and elsewhere online. I can't begin to list all the names of the folks I have met, but it has been great. I will make a special mention of marks, as he was very kind to share his table with me. Thanks marks!

More when I return to Midland, for now...bed.

Tyler
stdly

Post by stdly »

You lucky dawg! Glad your haveing a good time and meeting all the new faces. Enjoy it for us all who can only imagine! :)
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

Wish I could go hope to have better luck scraping together money next year.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Lucky indeed! That has to be pretty awesome to meet those guys and have them critique your work.

So, Tyler...I'm itchin' to know who won the carving contest?
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

yeah!!! Carving contest.....???
jeff

Post by jeff »

Rolando Negoita won the contest. He had a pretty nice piece. I didn't see the other 8 though. Unfortunately, I was preoccupied with the THOUSANDS of other nice pipes there. :D It was a great show. Many fine people attended. FWIW, Mike Lindner won best in show with an amazing, elegant pencil-shanked pipe. See if its on the piperack.com website.

Jeff
bluesmk

Richmond:

Post by bluesmk »

Gentlemen,
Just got in from Richmond, I'll ditto everything Tyler said, but I have to add I had the good futune of sitting in the same group of tables as his. Yes it was good to put a face on many here on this site!.....oh, Rolando won the contest. post soon I need my bed 12+hours of driving and sooooo much sensory overload....ahhh yes, dreams of Richmond , pipes, pipes, more pipes and lots of tobacco!!!!!
Good night
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Nick

Post by Nick »

Way cool guys. Kudos to Rolando. Still...Tyler should have won!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Why I talked to Rolando the day I sent mine in for judging and he did not even mention he had entered! Why I aughta....... :wink:

Many congrats to Rolando he makes a truly fine pipe. I want to know who else was in the top 10?????
marks

Post by marks »

I really enjoyed meeting all the members of this board that were at the show.

I also got some very constructive comments on my pipes, and some great tips for improvement, and for that, I thank you again!

I also sold my first pipe at the show. What a feeling it is for someone to critically inspect a pipe you made, then purchase it. Of course many of you on this board already know what that feels like. I was on cloud nine for the remainder of the show, and during the trip home.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Couldn't figure out how to post a pic here so I posted it in the gallery.
It's Tyler at the show.
Dan
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

By the way....thats Mark trying to hide, to Tyler's left.
Dan
jeff

Post by jeff »

Actually Todd did not enter as far as I know. I do know that Will Purdy entered with a very nice piece. It ws good meeting you guys in Richmond.
Rolamdo enetered with a very simple and elegant design. fairly easy to interpret into a run of copied pipes. it also seemed to me that Rolando must have done some research into BC pipes as his pipe seemed very reminiscent to me of the BC pipe genre.

Neil
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Hmmmm... sorry about that seems that Jeff logged into the site at richmond and didn't log out. that last post was obviously mine.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
jeff

Post by jeff »

Sorry about that Neil. I've done it to Todd too. Next thing you know I'll be signing on to ASP under other peoples' names too!

Jeff
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

jeff wrote:Actually Todd did not enter as far as I know. I do know that Will Purdy entered with a very nice piece. It ws good meeting you guys in Richmond.
Rolamdo enetered with a very simple and elegant design. fairly easy to interpret into a run of copied pipes. it also seemed to me that Rolando must have done some research into BC pipes as his pipe seemed very reminiscent to me of the BC pipe genre.

Neil
Yeah, I just took a look at Rolando's winning design. The first thing I thought was, "Yeah, that would look good as a BC for sure. I can see why they chose it"

The pipe is the perfect match of being both a Rolando and one of BC's more experimental shapes. It looks like he approached it just like he was writing a grant proposal. Being University Faculty he would have experience with that. Negiota is a professional through and through. Watch and learn eh?

Link to Rolando's winning pipe design:

http://www.atelierrolando.com/pipes/comptpipe.htm
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wow. So simple, so elegant. I *love* the tube arrangement with the stem.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Leus

Post by Leus »

I think random did something vaguely similar to that tube... found it.

http://www.ren-prod-inc.com/random_pipe ... posite.jpg
jeff

Post by jeff »

Sorry, Leus. I don't see any similarities. Where is the tube?

Jeff