Homemade Alcohol lamp

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Dixie_piper

Homemade Alcohol lamp

Post by Dixie_piper »

Most say an alcohol lamp is the best way to bend stems, and I'll agree. Problem in my case, is my only alcohol lamp is a family heirloom, and my ol lady would kill me for using it. So, I devisedd my own.
I used the tool supplied with most chainsaws for the bar nuts, but a quality socket (not plated) or piece of conduit would work too... I think. Anyway, cotton ball jammed 2/3 way inside of whatever you're using, 4-5 drops of D/A, and voila! I sit mine on a steel table in case the D/A drips, hence the small amount used. It will flare up at first, but once the cotton starts to wick, you'll have more than enough time to heat and bend your stem. I hold it to the side of the flame to avoid overheating.
This may be the dumbest way to do this, but it works for me and I figured it may help someone else save a buck or two.
BE CAREFUL, keep a bowl of water nearby, and make sure you get mommy's permission first ;)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Re: Homemade Alcohol lamp

Post by SimeonTurner »

A decent heat gun costs $20...
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Ok, I'll look into that :)

*edit* P.S.- do you prefer the using the heat gun as opposed to an alcohol lamp? I was just going by what Tim told me he believed worked. It does make sense since there's less risk involved.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have been told by every maker (if given the choice of course) to use a heat gun because the heat is far more controllable. You have less chance of burning the stem.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks Nate! In hindsight it does make more sense, I just kept hearing and reading "alcohol lamp" so I never took the time to think about the heat gun. Reckon I know what's next on the list of things to get ;)
I'll hopefully pick one up this weekend.
If I was smarter, I woulda searched the forum first :oops: but, hind sight is always 20/20. Thanks again!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Oh believe me, I use a freakin candle! I need to pop for a super-sweet heat maker!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Hey, a candle is very handy under certain circumstances.
Another reason I wanted to give this "homemade" idea a whirl is because of what I beileve it was Bruce that said "half the fun of pipe making is making the tools needed"
Which is true I suppose, but that, the lack of patience to wait on a heat gun, and the eagerness to start on a pipe is what spurred that thought into action.And as geeky as it sounds, I like the way cotton naturally wicks :) I still keep those little emergency candles handy for my retort, and they work great.
I'm gonna give the hair dryer a whirl too, my better half got it hot enough to bend one of those big A brushes of hers, so I would imagine bending lucite wouldn't be a stretch ;)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

To undermine my previous post, a 2 oz alcohol lamp can be had for $13 based on a 3 second google search.

I'm all for improvised tools, but many times it's just as easy and almost as cheap to just buy what you need.

As for which is better, I don't know that it really matters. I use a heat gun. Some guys use a lamp. I used to use a lighter and/or an oven with the stem buried in salt. *shrug*
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ahh yes I agree, that is half the fun! To find new methods is a great thing! The lamp is a great extension of that, and you already have DA, so why not use it for that too!

And Simeon reminded of two more methods, the oven/sand and boiling water methods.

I just thought of a new one too. Go with me on this, taking what we learned in scouts about the fire-starting method of rubbing two sticks, you could rub two stems together and bend two at once! Think of the efficiency!

Ok, I only cause trouble, I will no longer threadjack this thread.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Nate wrote:Ahh yes I agree, that is half the fun! To find new methods is a great thing! The lamp is a great extension of that, and you already have DA, so why not use it for that too!

And Simeon reminded of two more methods, the oven/sand and boiling water methods.

I just thought of a new one too. Go with me on this, taking what we learned in scouts about the fire-starting method of rubbing two sticks, you could rub two stems together and bend two at once! Think of the efficiency!

Ok, I only cause trouble, I will no longer threadjack this thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh what trouble a vivid imagination can stir up :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

SimeonTurner wrote:To undermine my previous post, a 2 oz alcohol lamp can be had for $13 based on a 3 second google search.

I'm all for improvised tools, but many times it's just as easy and almost as cheap to just buy what you need.

As for which is better, I don't know that it really matters. I use a heat gun. Some guys use a lamp. I used to use a lighter and/or an oven with the stem buried in salt. *shrug*
You do make a good point. I've figured out in talking to different people about different aspects of pipe making, that some of it is pretty much "different strokes for different folks." What works for one, may not for another, and honestly, a lot of it boils down to preferences. As does much of life, so long as is not taken TOO seriously, cuz that just sucks all the fun right out of it.
People such as yourself, have gained the efficiency that methods used are already formed into a rhythym, a lean mean pipe making machine. Where myself and others, are still taking our first steps :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

I've used Bic lighters, (actually use a couple, when one gets hot, I drop it and pick up another), for every pipe I have ever made, only bubbled the first stem, have never messed up one since. Neat thing about the Bic if someone says I like that pipe but I wish the stem was bent less/more, I say, "No prob. I'll bend it for you, just tell me what angle you want". bob gilbert
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

See, just like I said, "different strokes, for diferent folks"
Thanks Bob :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Put me in the alcohol lamp category unless we're talking about Bakelite. The reason that an alcohol flame is better than a candle is that a candle produces soot--which ends up on the stem and can sometimes put sort of a permanent haze on the stem. I've made alcohol lamps out of various shop implements when working in other guys' shops. As long as you've got a cotton wick and a sealed receptacle for the alcohol, you can usually get the job done in short order. Good work, Dixie.

TJ
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Well thank you Todd! :)
Makes me feel better about the situation. I used the alcohol lamp method on lucite stems, haven't got my paws on any bakelite, yet ;)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
flix

Post by flix »

My setup: the front burner on our gas range

No class... ;)
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

ToddJohnson wrote:Put me in the alcohol lamp category unless we're talking about Bakelite.
TJ

So just a heat gun for bakelite? I would have used the lamp, and that would have...?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

e Markle wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:Put me in the alcohol lamp category unless we're talking about Bakelite.
TJ

So just a heat gun for bakelite? I would have used the lamp, and that would have...?
I would have thought it would burn. Bakelite being a very poor conductor of heat (hence its use for electrical insulation) i would think it would develope a hot spot over the lamp and burn. Personally I have always used a heat gun, its what i started with and i like it, i have a choice of heat settings and i use a one of the stripping attachments to give me a more concentrated area of heat.

As with most things in pipemaking its all down to what method suits you best.