Product Shots(Pics of the pipe goods)

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

So as an aspiring professional pipe maker, with a background in design and web development, my partner in crime and myself decided a nice solid white area to take bright photos of our pipes as product shots would be necessary.

We set out to build one, and used a few LEDs of varying sizes, some thick foam board, electrical tape, solder, some batteries, duct tape, and a little wiring ingenuity.

The pipe included in the picture was one of my partner in crimes first pipes, but the shots turned out swimmingly.

There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Re: Product Shots(Pics of the pipe goods)

Post by TimGeorge »

That's a nice contraption. I have learned a lot about pipes and have sold quite a few now, but I still can't take a decent picture. The 14 menus on my camera leave my head spinning like a lathe. :)
Regards,
Tim
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

It is indeed, a nifty contraption, and the pics are off to a good start. I do have a suggestion, though, and take this however, as I'm not a photographer, but my wife is and I've learned a bit from her. I would recommend diffusing the lights so the pics aren't quite so "hot". The bright white highlights obscure the grain and cause the edges to blend in with the background a bit. Softening the lights with some kind of diffuser should let the wood do more of the talking, so to speak.

Micah