Variable Speed Grinder

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
BriarWorldNick

Variable Speed Grinder

Post by BriarWorldNick »

I am looking at a Chicago Variable Speed Grinder, Apparently variable from 0 to 10k rpm. Attached to it is a flex shaft(similar to what you would see on a Dremel).

My curiosity is whether or not anyone has experience with something similar, the guy only wants 25 so it probably isn't a loss anyway.

The catch is that it is a 3" grinder, and I am not sure if the variance in rpm is enough to counter the surface speed, I want to use this for buffing so any insight would be excellent.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Variable Speed Grinder

Post by KurtHuhn »

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-grin ... 43533.html

I personally would pass on that. A good dremel with flex shaft will serve you much better, and with less stress.

Those Chicago-blah units are Harbor Freight things, and it's rare to find one that's of good quality.

If you're after a dremel-like tool, that thing is going to frustrate you. If you're looking for a tool to use as a buffer, that thing is going to frustrate you.

Bottom line: not worth $25. Free, maybe, but it would end up sitting in a corner and go unused.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com