Calipers for the winzzzz

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
BriarWorldNick

Calipers for the winzzzz

Post by BriarWorldNick »

My friend and I went shopping for some tools yesterday(a web client finally paid up after chasing them for 6 months)
We purchased a Skil 9" Bandsaw some random doohickies to build a rotating mount for the motors, and a 5-Speed variable
Skil Drill Press. The other beauty of the drill press is now I have a guide to go by when build the pulley setup for rpm
control on the motors we are hopefully getting for Christmas.

Anyhow, when I first dove into pipe making I realized there were minor differences that my eyes probably couldn't see
and that because of this a set of digital calipers would serve me very well in order to exercise symmetry.

So with a birthday coming up, my friend bought me a set of 6" Kobalt. These dudes are phenomenal, I have been meausring
everything in my house.

Do you guys use or own or enjoy calipers?
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Calipers for the winzzzz

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a really nice caliper that's got digital display and steel body. I love it.

For a long while I was using it to help me get stem thickness down to the size I want it. Nowadays I rarely use it for that purpose, and instead I go by eye, using the calipers to confirm the measurement once the stem is finished. :)

They seem to get the most use when I'm in machinist mode, making sure tolerances on parts are correct. They're a very useful tool for any workshop, even if only to transfer a measurement from one thingy to another thingy.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

They really are a great tool, but always seemed to be the one thing I would buy for someone else, and never myself. Which is why having them as a gift was awesome, because I could actually have them for me now.

Also did you get my pm?
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I couldnt be without my digital calipers, not just for pipe work but for all kinds of stuff around the house and workshop. I used to use vernier calipers and could get a pretty good measurement on them but digital just makes it so much quicker and easier.

Be careful what you measure, they are very accurate and do not lie, you may just shatter your own illusions about the size ofr certain things :lol:
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

BriarWorldNick wrote:Do you guys use or own or enjoy calipers?
Totally.

Yeah, I particularly like being able to "zero" the reading at some point and then measuring to a second point to get the difference. Saves on having to do the calculation manually. Cool stuff.
BriarWorldNick wrote:Anyhow, when I first dove into pipe making I realized there were minor differences that my eyes probably couldn't see
Yeah, one other tool I've found useful lately is a pair of these.

At 45, my near-vision is not too terribly bad, but I'm still amazed at all the details I can pick up with a pair of reading glasses. :lol: