Ever seen something like this? Help me out...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I have an aerosol can of some compressed gas that is made for cleaning out computers. You know what I'm talking about right? Anyway, I've found that thing great to have around the shop for quick clean ups--general dusting and such. Well, those things are a little pricey, and I was thinking that with my air compressor on the other side of the garage, it sure would be nice to find a REFILLABLE can for such tasks. Something about the size of a hairspray can, that I could charge with the air compressor.

Ever seen or heard of such a thing?
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Ever seen something like this? Help me out...

Post by baweaverpipes »

Why not just run a line into the shop with an air gun attachment?
I wouldn't refill one of those......................KABOOM!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Yeah...I guess I could. I'm just being lazy. It's quite a ways away.

Plus, it seems like anytime I drag around a hose or a cord I scrape something of the bench I didn't want to bounce on the concrete.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Tyler wrote:Yeah...I guess I could. I'm just being lazy. It's quite a ways away.

Plus, it seems like anytime I drag around a hose or a cord I scrape something of the bench I didn't want to bounce on the concrete.
Rubber mats on the floor:

MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

http://www.shoplet.com/Read-right-ReAir ... R6004/spdv looks like you have to use their compressor and it is backordered everywhere, but it does exist. :lol:
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

Also, what about something made out of one of those mini tanks for a paintball gun with a simple hose and nozzle attached?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Maybe this?
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Aluminum-Re ... d_sbs_op_1

This one is expensive, but includes a small pump:
http://www.shoplet.com/ReAir-Refillable ... 10575/sgdv

My personall preference would be to get one of those 5 gallon portable tanks and couple it with a blow gun on a small retractable coiled hose:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W10005-5-G ... 886&sr=8-1
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There are cans that mechanics use - you put something like brake-kleen in em and then put em on the compressor and charge 'em up. Then they shoot a very fine stream of cleaning fluid. Mine didn't leak at all - stays "charged" for months. They take 100 psi or something. I don't see why a guy couldn't just fill one with air....
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

yeah, i was thinking the same thing for spray cans that are compressor charged for paint. But is the nozzle set up different so that all the air would come out too fast? Would it come out really fast since it is unhindered; as it is built to be?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Thanks for the good ideas guys. I'll let you know what I land on.
FredS

Post by FredS »

We always used Sure Shot brand containers in the shops I've worked in. We used them for atomizing liquids, but I suppose one could just charge them with air. You could buy a pretty long hose for what one would cost you though.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Tyler, during the most miserable year of my life when the only job I could find was that of a plumber's helper, the company had a portable air tank on each truck. We made these by taking the small propane tanks, (I don't use propane so don't know what size those are but they are the small ones used for BQ grills and campers), we would then go to a pluming supply house and get the parts to rig them up with a cutoff valve, pressure gage and about four foot of hose with a trigger type fitting on the end of the hose. If I remember correctly, one could be charged with 125-150 lbs of air. That would be ideal for you, they are light and easy to carry, sit it in the corner until needed, pick it up and carry to where it is needed, sit back in the corner until next needed, no long hose to tangle on benches. bob gilbert
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

staffwalker wrote:Tyler, during the most miserable year of my life when the only job I could find was that of a plumber's helper, the company had a portable air tank on each truck. We made these by taking the small propane tanks, (I don't use propane so don't know what size those are but they are the small ones used for BQ grills and campers), we would then go to a pluming supply house and get the parts to rig them up with a cutoff valve, pressure gage and about four foot of hose with a trigger type fitting on the end of the hose. If I remember correctly, one could be charged with 125-150 lbs of air. That would be ideal for you, they are light and easy to carry, sit it in the corner until needed, pick it up and carry to where it is needed, sit back in the corner until next needed, no long hose to tangle on benches. bob gilbert
yeh this is basically what i meant. My grandfather used something along these lines in his automotive shop.