Best pre-made stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
kola

Best pre-made stems

Post by kola »

In regards to acrylic and vulcanite who sells the best pre-made stems? and their pricing. I bought some in the past which IMO were very poor quality (especially the vulcanite).

Kola
Dixie_piper

Re: Best pre-made stems

Post by Dixie_piper »

Tim West @ jhlowe.com or
pipemakers.org (Pipe makers emporium) if you can turn tenons or use delrin
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
kola

Post by kola »

I bought a military vulcanite for PE. It was very thin lowgrade vulcanite and it felt almost like soft plastic. It also had the molded seams which I had to sand and polish off. Are PE's acrylics stems the same way?

I also got a similar stem from a briar kit purchase from one of the well known carvers which looked and felt identical to the PE stem.

I do not mind paying more for a nice quality stem but I surely do not want to waste money on toy material.

Kola
DMI

Post by DMI »

I've used thousands of PME's vulcanite stems and they all come pretty much as you described, I've only had a couple of acrylics from them and they were ready to go push fits.

Quality wise there are a whole range of factors affecting a moulded stem which will have an effect on the end product, mainly to do with the raw material and things being to hot or cold.

If the problem is that you don't have the tools to finish a stem that's a different matter.

David.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The problem with premolds is that they are necessarily made of a material that could be termed "low grade". This is because they need to be at a thinner viscosity at heat to be able to be injected into the mold.

All premolds have seam flashing on them, all premolds need serious modification, and all premolds are of lower quality material.

This is why a lot of full-timers hand cut stems from rod stock. The rod form ebonite is a far superior material. There is no such thing as a "high grade premold stem".
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

KurtHuhn wrote:There is no such thing as a "high grade premold stem".
Indeed!

If you want to get the best you can get! Get a good rod supplier!
Pipes of inspiration...
by Eder Mathias
http://mrhydepipes.com
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I've had no problems with guidici from jh lowe. Really no problems. Still premolds, and still inferior, but no problems.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
hebi

Post by hebi »

Pia Pipes

looks nice