Crooked Cutty

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Walle

Crooked Cutty

Post by Walle »

Comrades!

It is quite obvious that the cutty shape is undergoing a rediscovery these days. And I think: It deserves it.
I have a Danish one in my humble collection that comes out slightly crooked when you have a closer look at it. That is the proof that no lathe was used making it. And sure it happened accidently. Inspired by the accident I bent this one a little bit out of shape - well, let´s call it: on purpose:

Cheerio!
Walle
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
BriarWorldNick

Re: Crooked Cutty

Post by BriarWorldNick »

One of the many things I enjoy about your work, is that you play so much with the eye. The angles and sharp but soft edges you put on your pipes is the type of work of which I am focused.

However, you do classic shapes with even more intent, and its obvious the quality present in what you do.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Genosse Wallenstein,
as coincidences happen all the time using the creative force hidden behind it to reshape classical forms can be regarded as a perpetuum mobile for a pipemaker, here it shows how a classical shape can be beautifully translated into a different sphere :thumbsup:

Cheerio,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Very nice work, Walle. The blast is very subtle and doesn't detract from the overall shape but adds to it. Even though I appreciate the inventiveness of your more whimsical shapes, it's really interesting to see your take, using your very unique, "Walle-esque" techniques on more classical shapes. Would love to see more like this!
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Walle, I've taken the liberty of "doctoring" one of your photos just slightly, making a few subtle changes in the lines of the pipe. Hopefully this will help you get to the Next Level.

You're welcome!

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Walle

Post by Walle »

Oh Sas!

That´s hilarious! I´m laughing out loud. You saved my day (+ night).
Thank you, buddie.

Cheerio!
Walle
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Walle wrote:Oh Sas!

That´s hilarious! I´m laughing out loud. You saved my day (+ night).
Thank you, buddie.

Cheerio!
Walle
+1...the "subtle" change cracked me up.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Now I have coffee streaming out my nose from when I "LOLed", and I've got a cramp in my abs from "ROFLing".

Nice one, Sas. :thumbsup:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, Roger. That's an awesome pipe yet again. While I do like the alterations Sas made I think you should keep doing what you're doing. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
SWM

Post by SWM »

:lol:

:thumbsup:
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
Dirk_H

Post by Dirk_H »

Really impressive. I like it a lot. It's a pleasure for my eyes to watching the curves and lines. Especially the bowl is very inspiring.

And since I still call myselve a very beginner, I can't see any difference between yours and the recommendation sas has given. And I wonder wich program sas uses. It looks so realistic. I have no words... :wink:
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

i like the pipe... i like the humor... guys - i got to love you all - you are crazy in a very very positive way....
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Sorry, Sas, but I'm gonna' have to go off the res here and disagree with you. That stone extension at the end of the stem, near the button, seems a little heavy to me. What is it for? and how do you get around it to smoke? And forget about clenching it in your teeth, unless you have a good dentist.

I don't get it. 'What am I missing?'
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That stone cools the smoke as it pours out of the stem, stupid. It's the Sasquatchatronic Stone Stinger. So you just pop the whole thing in your mouth and light 'er up. This allows the user to smoke extraordinarily hot which means more pipe sales in the future as well.

Don't bring me down just because you don't have my kind of vision, Owl.

:lol: :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Sasquatch wrote:That stone cools the smoke as it pours out of the stem, stupid. It's the Sasquatchatronic Stone Stinger. So you just pop the whole thing in your mouth and light 'er up. This allows the user to smoke extraordinarily hot which means more pipe sales in the future as well.

Don't bring me down just because you don't have my kind of vision, Owl.

:lol: :lol:
That totally makes sense. "Sasquatchatronic Stone Stinger." Dammit! why didn't I think of that?? :banghead:

Dude. I'm an ass. I'm gonna' go cry into my pipe now and smoke the bitter tears of my tomfoolery and shame (expect some gurgling).
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

FredS

Post by FredS »

That cutty is wicked cool Walle.

For non-native english speakers, "wicked cool" = really nice.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I wonder if this is possible, what is the treatment that you give the heather to get to highlight the wood fibers. Do you use some kind of acid?.
Greetings.
Felix

Me gustaría saber, si ello es posible, cual es el tratamiento que le das al brezo para conseguir resaltar las fibras de la madera. ¿Utilizas algún tipo de acido?.
Saludos.
Félix
sean

Post by sean »

I LOVE this pipe! well done.
Sean - I Still Suck
http://www.epperspipes.com
tarock-briar

Post by tarock-briar »

Walle wrote: Comrades!
It is quite obvious that ... it happened accidently ... that the stem was a little bit out of shape - well, let´s call it: on purpose:

Cheerio!
Walle
Don´t kill me - not yet ...

a crooked cutty
(literally)
SWM

Post by SWM »

Hey, I'd buy that! And it has a real driftwood finish too!

Do you want to participate in the PITHT with it?

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)