Brüder (bei der Pfeifeherstellung)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

Brüder (bei der Pfeifeherstellung)

Post by Nate »

Hope the translator did that right! Here's number 5, you may remember DaGamba and I wanted to trade pipes to get better input than just looking at pictures. We decided on a dublin shape and he completed and sent his to me. I have finally gotten mine complete and will be sending it to him next week.

Got a very decent block and although it has a couple very small flaws, still looks nice. One flaw was about 1/4" from the shank face right into the mortise, so I stabilized it and added the nickel band. What a shame. I think the grain orientation is fairly good, but probably could have been tweaked. It has nice birdseye on the top and bottom with a fair amount of straight grain on the sides. DaGamba requested a 'virgin' finish on it, which is my first. Didn't find any info on here about virgin finishes, but Wayne answered my questions and gave me some tips. This is also my first 9mm filter pipe. I didn't have any metric bits, so for the future I will be ordering them. It was quite a learning experience! Oh, and the pictures are slightly more saturated than should be, tried to correct but could only get so far. So the pipe is slightly more 'bland' than the pics would suggest.

Two of my specific questions are: how is the bowl/shank transition for this pipe, and how about the stem length? With the tighter lines I have on the rest of the pipe, I kept the transition pretty snug. I now see the stem is about 1/4-1/2" too long (IMO), however I think the band may help a little to balance it.

Of course, any comments/critiques are encouraged. Thanks!

Walle

Re: Brüder (bei der Pfeifeherstellung)

Post by Walle »

Nate,

wow, this Dublin looks both, masculine and elegant, perfectly executed. A pipe you´d like to hold between your teeth while driving an old MG (which sure would ruin it - the pipe that is - Mgs last forever ...).

The bite looks a bit "heavy", though.

Cheerio!
Walle

P.S.: "Da Gamba" is Swedish, but of course he also is a "Bruder bei der Pfeifenherstellung" (and a good one) :)
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Walle wrote:Nate,

wow, this Dublin looks both, masculine and elegant, perfectly executed. A pipe you´d like to hold between your teeth while driving an old MG (which sure would ruin it - the pipe that is - Mgs last forever ...).

The bite looks a bit "heavy", though.

Cheerio!
Walle

P.S.: "Da Gamba" is Swedish, but of course he also is a "Bruder bei der Pfeifenherstellung" (and a good one) :)
Thanks Walle! I agree about the stem bite, I think it is a result of the off center tapering I did and I couldn't go any further down on the top because of the 9MM filter cavity :( I will keep that in mind and do better on the next!

Ha! I thought he said he was German!!! D'oh! :lol:
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Well, I'm sort of Swedish. Although I drink beer as a German...

And the pipe is mine, Mine, MINE!!! :D

The pipe looks great. Can 't wait to fire it up with some nice VA tobacco.

Good job Nate(as always).
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Walle wrote:
Thank you Walle. That comment will make me sleep well tonight...
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks Pär!! Should be in the mail Monday :) Really hope you enjoy it, looking forward to your thoughts.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Very nice Nate! I'm normally not a big fan of virgin finishes, but it works well on this pipe :thumbsup: I like the thin bit part as well, looks like added comfort.
Isn't it odd how the flaws in briar always seem to hide right where you really don't want them? :lol:
Anyone should be happy with this pipe ;)
Kudos :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hey Nate,
that is now a lucky DaGamba i can see throughout the prism of this beauty of a pipe !
Indeed a pipe for convertible rooftops,now doubt a classy line ! :thumbsup:

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A very original Dublin, with extraordinary performance.
Be seen some "Sand Pit" I know those were deleted. Also, have contrasted more with the grain.
Regards.
Felix

Una Dublín muy original, de extraordinaria ejecución.
Se aprecian algunos "Sand pit"; yo se los hubiera eliminado. También, hubiese contrastado mas la veta.
Saludos.
Félix
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

a nice pipe... like it very much... good job... :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/