Cutting tenons with compound arm

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
TRS
Site Supporter

Cutting tenons with compound arm

Post by TRS »

Hey folks, I'm posting this in tools and tooling because it's more about the process/use of the tool than the stem itself. I'm trying to have a go at cutting integral tenons. The problem I'm having is in the facing; I know the procedure and have managed to face rod stock a few times successfully with the facing bit. My last couple of tries though, the rod has been too long (I think) and unsteady so when the bit starts moving back towards the edge, the chuck lets go a bit and the rod goes askew. I've had some luck cutting the rod when a center is holding it from the other side, but then I'd have a nipple left over during the facing. I think my problem is that my 3 jaw chuck is too small (and cheap). There is no room through the center hole for the rod to go through. Does that sound right? Do I need to invest in a larger chuck so I can choke up the rod stock for facing and then move it out and use a live center on it for the turning? Thanks a lot for any info!

Tim
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Cutting tenons with compound arm

Post by Tyler »

Cheap chucks make for useless lathes.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I agree with Tyler. Your chuck shouldn't let go of the rod for any reason. If it does, something's wrong with your chuck.

Rad
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Okay, thanks guys. I was suspicious of the chuck's integrity when I was buying it; I'm not normally the type to buy things on the cheap, but this had good reviews and whatnot (though not in regards to pipemaking :D). I just got a self centering 4 jaw wood chuck, now i'll start looking to a better 3 jaw. Thanks again.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Or, depending on your lathe, grab a Collet chuck. For holding cylindrical stock, it's difficult to get any better than collets.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com