Iroko, can I smoke in it?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Sorringowl

Re: Iroko, can I smoke in it?

Post by Sorringowl »

RadDavis wrote:
Sorringowl wrote: I don't know but I think that pretty much tops Keith Richards' burning cigarette in the headstock, coolness wise. :rockon:
The first time I saw this was at a Peter, Paul and Mary concert, a few years before the Stones came along. It was either Peter or Paul. Mary didn't have a guitar.

Keith Richards is just a copy cat. :lol:

Rad
Haha. That's pretty awesome. I'm curious, though, was either Peter or Paul drunk? Or did Keith get that from Mary? :lol:
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Sorringowl wrote:
RadDavis wrote:
Sorringowl wrote: I don't know but I think that pretty much tops Keith Richards' burning cigarette in the headstock, coolness wise. :rockon:
The first time I saw this was at a Peter, Paul and Mary concert, a few years before the Stones came along. It was either Peter or Paul. Mary didn't have a guitar.

Rad
Haha. That's pretty awesome. I'm curious, though, was either Peter or Paul drunk? Or did Keith get that from Mary? :lol:
Neither one of them seemed drunk. I'm pretty sure Keith picked that up on his own. :)

Rad
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

The quote that gets me is this one:
Grammaton wrote:Prepared briar is a really good material for the task of pipemaking. It's very dense, but easily worked because it's soft,
Have you ever worked briar? I have yet to find a piece that's easily worked OR soft... :?
GBMorris

Post by GBMorris »

Hi Folks,

I'm new here, so I apologize if I'm continuing to stir the shit in this thread. Before I continue, I will defer to the wisdom of those who have been doing this longer than me, and say that I have not yet made a single pipe, so I am probably the least knowledgeable person here.

Now, it seems that there are two characteristics of briar wood used to make pipes which make it fundamentally different from wood you might pick up for other types of woodworking (please correct me if I am wrong): 1. It is taken from the root of the plant, and 2. It is boiled to remove unwanted oils. So that naturally begs the question of whether anyone has ever tried making pipes out of the boiled root wood of other plants?

Thoughts?
Greg
Jack of all trades, master of one.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Why, yes they have! Mountain Laurel and Manzanita come to mind. Both were used during WWII, when briar was hard to come by.

As soon as the war ended everyone that was using these woods went back to briar.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Just about every plant you can think of has been tried by somebody at some time period.

The trouble with most is that the ones that are physically capable of being a pipe, like Manzanita, are really hard to find without cracks and fissures and dead scorpions and stuff inside 'em.

You CAN make pipes out of damn near any domestic wood. Maple burl, for example.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote:

Rad
Rod,
"If I Had A Hammer", I'd drive "500 Miles" instead of "Leaving on a Jet Plane" because it might be "Blowing in the Wind". I hate to age myself, but I saw them many times in concert. Dang Rod, "The Times They Are A-Changin'", I just wish I knew "Where Have all the Flowers Gone".