Sanding Disc

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
hawky454

Sanding Disc

Post by hawky454 »

Hello,

Does anyone know where to buy a nice solid sanding disc for my lathe? I saw Tim West sells one but I really don't want to spend $200.00 on one just yet. I bought a 6" flimsy little disc from Home Depot that fits into my drill chuck but I would like a larger one and something not so fragile. I did an engine search for one and the only things that comes up are the actual sanders, which I don't need. I'm looking for something I can hook up to either my lathe or even my bench grinder so I wave more space to work with the stummel. Please I've even searched this forum and I can't find any clue how to go about getting a hold of something like this.

Example: I like the one Tyler Lane is using in the video that he shapes his stummel.

Thanks,

Dave
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Sanding Disc

Post by KurtHuhn »

This is a part of pipe making, or really any craft, that Todd Johnson touched on in his post about tools. Sooner or later you're going to have to make the tools that you use in your craft. There's really no escaping it.

I do not recall what Tyler said he used to make that disk, but I seem to remember that he mentioned getting all the parts at the hardware store.

Rough shaping:
For my part, I use an assemblage of parts to create an arbor for 7" resin fiber disks that I mount in my headstock similar to what you see in Tyler's video. That's the easiest and least expensive way I know. All told, not including the resin fiber disc, I think I have less than $10 in the setup. I did have to hunt around to find the different parts I needed, so adding fuel costs it's definitely more.

Finish Shaping and sanding:
To get the "french wheel effect" on the cheap, I created a simple arbor designed to fit onto the shaft of a standard electric motor. Made from aluminum, it accepts standard hook and loop backup pads designed for random orbit sanders marketed to the automotive refinishing industry, called DA pads (for Dual Action). You can use standard 5" or 6" hook and loop sanding discs on these. Though if you choose to go this route and eliminate hand sanding, I suggest long life Abralon discs, since they will last through several pipes whereas most paper disks will need replaced much more often. They look expensive, but they are worth every penny. I have also had some luck using this setup with hook and loop grinding discs to do rough shaping.

For an idea of they look like, click the link in my sig for my site and hit the "Tools" page.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Grammaton

Post by Grammaton »

I made a sanding disk from 1/4" plywood. That way I can grip the disk with the same chuck that holds the briar blocks.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I believe Pipe Makers Emporium has french wheels for around $125. As Kurt mentioned, if you can wait until Todd gets that site up and running, I'd take a look at what he offers. Granted, with the poor quality pipes he turns out his wheels may not be worth your time. ;)
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Grammaton,

Do you have a picture you can send me so I can get an idea of what I would need to do?
Grammaton

Post by Grammaton »

hawky454 wrote:Grammaton,

Do you have a picture you can send me so I can get an idea of what I would need to do?
Glue a piece of 1/4" plywood (I used aircraft plywood - 5 ply) a bit larger than 2" square to another piece a bit larger than
whatever size disk you want to end up with (I used a 5.25" circle).

I gripped the large circle with a chuck and turned the small side round with a slight dovetail.
I then turned the disk around and gripped the small side in a chuck and turned the large side.

If you don't have a chuck large enough, you could drill a hole through the center and screw it to a block of scrap wood held
in your chuck. After turning the small side, grip the small side in your chuck and turn the large side.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Thanks, but I have no idea what you're talking about? I'm that far behind...I don't know what a dovetail is? I appreciate you trying to help but I would need to see it to understand what you're talking about. I just got my lathe last Sunday...so I am still learning. Thus far I have been crafting briar kits. I decided that I truly have a passion for it but I'm way behind a lot of folks out there. I'm not gonna let that stop me though.

Thanks again,

Dave
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

e Markle wrote:I believe Pipe Makers Emporium has french wheels for around $125. As Kurt mentioned, if you can wait until Todd gets that site up and running, I'd take a look at what he offers. Granted, with the poor quality pipes he turns out his wheels may not be worth your time. ;)

Hey I don't see one on there.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I have to go up there in the next few days, I'll make sure they still have them in. I'm guessing they're just not on the site for some reason. I believe they carry them in 4", 5" and 6", but the newer wheels don't have any foam or felt on them.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Sanding Disc

Post by mredmond »

I just checked PME and they still have the French wheels on the site. You can find them by going to Products > Tools > Continue. They are on the second page of tools.

I hope that helps.

Micah
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Okay, you're right. Thanks,! I didn't even realize there was a second page.
kola

Post by kola »

pricey sons a guns.

I'm a cheapy and will make my own.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I just noticed the motor arbor they're now including. I must say, that looks familiar. :lol:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
kola

Post by kola »

KurtHuhn wrote:I just noticed the motor arbor they're now including. I must say, that looks familiar. :lol:
did they steal your creation?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, considering I never took a patent or established copyright, it would be difficult to steal. :D

Actually, I'm kinda flattered that someone considered my invention worthy enough to copy. As a proponent of open source software, operating systems, and hardware designs, I'm quite okay with it. Now, if they undercut my price, I might change my mind. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Well Kurt, I hope ya don't change the price on the arbor anytime soon because I will be buying one eventually. I just don't have a separate motor that would make it convenient and I talked with Tyler and it turns out I have the same set up as he does, so I'm gonna try to make that work for now. In the future, You'll be the person I'll be doing business with for obvious reasons.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Sanding Disc

Post by mredmond »

hawky, I don't have a separate motor, either, but I use one of Kurt's arbors. I screwed the arbor onto a bolt, which I then chuck on my lathe. Probably not the most elegant solution, but cheap and easy.

Micah
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Micah,

Thanks, but the sanding disc I have now fits into my drill chuck, which I put in the headstock. I was thinking that I needed a much bigger sanding disc but it sounds like I got the right one!