panelled pot

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaGamba

panelled pot

Post by DaGamba »

This was an eye-opener. I need to get better at buffing! Among a lot of other things.... :D
I was first about to make this into a rusticated pot but then I saw it had some nice cross grain I wanted to try and use. Well, at least I tried. There are a few things I'm not satisfied with on this pipe but I hope you guys can point out more things I could have done better.

All the best,

Pär
Boekweg

Re: panelled pot

Post by Boekweg »

Well as every one on this forum knows, im a noobie. But i still like commenting on the pipes i see in the Gallery. I for one really like your pipe. It looks like you used your imagination with the curves to make it look unique. :thumbsup:
JMG

Post by JMG »

Pär, I keep looking for something to critique, but I'm finding it hard. I'm partial to your style, so this probably doesn't make me the best one to point out areas to improve. I really love the way the cross grain carries up the shank. I also, love the composition. The bowl looks a little large for the pipe, but it works well with the shank/stem length, IMO. I would love to see a pic of the front of bowl. The only thing that doesn't agree with me about this pipe is the fact that you didn't panel the rear of the bowl. It doesn't look bad, or even unbalanced...I just think it may have looked more refined to panel the whole thing (though this may not be the look you were going for.) In any case, this is a great looking pipe.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

I'm in the same boat with JMG. It was hard to find something "wrong" with it, composition wise, but I think that top photo is throwing me off. I, too, would like to see a photo of this from the front of the bowl or even a 3/4 view. I feel like it's missing something (maybe a symmetrical back of bowl as JMG pointed out) but I feel like I'm not getting an overview of the whole composition in these photos. I'm also (like JMG) partial to your style as well, Par, so that makes it even harder.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanks for your comments guys.
There is certainly something not quite right with this pipe, I just can't put my finger on it either. It's probably the paneling. Maybe I'll just panel the whole thing....