My 1st two pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hawky454

My 1st two pipes

Post by hawky454 »

ImageImageImageImageImage

Okay, so the last pipe (the free hand style) Is my 1st pipe, I'm not that excited about. The second one I like a bit better but please, I would like some constructive criticism. Go ahead and slap me in the face if ya like. These were both made from kits but I just finished one last night that I engineered myself and I really need some pointers on that one.

I guess I should add that these pipes were cut with a coping saw, shaped with a dremel and files and a lot of sandpaper.
Last edited by hawky454 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
RadDavis

Re: My 1st two pipes

Post by RadDavis »

For first pipes. those aren't bad at all. Go make some more.

Critique at this point is going to be pretty worthless.

Rad
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Thanks Rad, Honestly thats nice to hear.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

WOW, Your pipes totally blow. . . . . . mine out of the water! It is very obvious you have done your homework and have the talent to become a pro. Well done! :notworthy:
kola

Post by kola »

Very nice.

I would highly recommend that you spent some serious hours reading over all the past posts that are here on the forum. This place is overloaded with information pertaining to pipecrafting. It takes a little bit more of your own time but IMO it is better than being lazy and just asking questions which have been answered a bazillion times by many of the experienced posters here on the Forum. Cheers!

Kola
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

Not bad at all. My first one was still kind of square, and looked like a block with a stem on it.
flix

Post by flix »

1st one: the bottom of the bowl dips below the plane of the shank, should be straight. It appears that the shank also tapers in as you approach the bowl also, that would be considered a no-no. You were fortunate to get some good blocks to start with. As Rad said, use these as baby-stepping stones to continue, you'll be better off sticking to the classics to learn composition first. HTH, fine finish btw.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Thanks for all the advice. Believe me, I'll be doing a lot more reading than posting. Yes, I'll be sticking with classics until I feel ready to get creative. I don't believe I can move forward if I don't understand the basics. Thanks for the technical pointers as well!
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Nice sanding and finish work. And nice briar.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com