Rad'ish Billiard, Cutty, and a Churchwarden

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sean

Rad'ish Billiard, Cutty, and a Churchwarden

Post by sean »

Some new pipes finished and blasted. Blessings!

Sean - I Still Suck
http://www.epperspipes.com
Boekweg

Re: Rad'ish Billiard, Cutty, and a Churchwarden

Post by Boekweg »

Rad'ish Billiard, Cutty, and a Churchwarden. . . all walk into a bar. . . . :D

Very nice pipes sean! I am thinking about doing a churchwarden pipe myself. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Boekweg on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Even though it's out of the norm, I LOVE the bent billiard.

The cutty - Something seems off to me but that's my untrained eye. Can you post a side view?

Churchwarden - The shank to stem transition is really abrupt to me. It also looks a little off center. From the side view it looks as if the mortise sits too high on the shank.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Sean, great job, man. On the billiard, I'm wondering if it may look a little more balanced if you had removed just tab bit more briar on the topside of the stem/shank junction. It looks great, as is...just wondering about that. Also, the smooth part of the briar, right before the stem looks a tiny bit uneven (thicker on the bottom...not bad at all, though.) I feel like I given to many negative critiques to such a great looking pipe. That said, I think you nailed the bend in the stem and the sandblast looks really nice as well.

The cutty...well, this one is right up my alley. Hard for me to critique anything on this one. Though, I would like to see a profile picture of it.

In the first picture of the churchwarden the curve in the bowl's face seems a bit abrupt toward the top (near the rim.) I'm not sure I'm explaining this correctly. The only other thing is that I think this CW would look nice with a smooth ring at the end of the shank like you did on the billiard and maybe a bit of a bend in the stem (though that is just personal preference.)

One issue I see throughout all three is the stain dripping down into the bowl. Not sure if this could be sanded out without changing the chamber's shape too much. I have this same problem. Lately, I've been plugging the chamber with a rubber "cork" sort of thing that a buddy of my gave me. He uses them to plug holes on things that he powder coats. So far, they have worked pretty well and because they are soft, I don't have to worry about it nicking the briar.

Again, I feel like I've given too many negative critiques of some great looking pipes. You did a very nice job on all of them. I guess Texas has something going for them, :lol:
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
FredS

Post by FredS »

That cutty churchwarden is something totally different. I like it. I would like it more if it had a perfectly straight stem (a bent stem results in an almost inverted bowl when the thing is in your mouth). I can see that as a pipe sold with two stems, a 4" stem for a traditional look and the long stem for the churchwarden look.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work Sean, great looking pipes!
sean

Post by sean »

Thanks everyone! I typically sand out the bowl stains and coat them before photo's but i did not have the "mix" on hand to cover my drips.
Sean - I Still Suck
JMG

Post by JMG »

sean wrote:Thanks everyone! I typically sand out the bowl stains and coat them before photo's but i did not have the "mix" on hand to cover my drips.
Next time you run out of the mix just ship the pipes to me and I will, umm...coat them for you. Yeah....yeah, I. will. coat them....and promptly send them back to you, of course.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
sean

Post by sean »

haha! I sure will :)
Sean - I Still Suck
sean

Post by sean »

Fred great idea about the two stems! I wish I would have done that. However this one is already in the hands of its new owner.
Sean - I Still Suck