Jet 1236 near Cleveland

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
JHowell

Jet 1236 near Cleveland

Post by JHowell »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jet-Lathe-12-x-36-M ... 1949911629

This is one of the good ones, early to mid 80s, Taiwanese, very hard beds, bulletproof clutch design. Big MT5 spindle. This one was listed earlier and the sale was ended and relisted, not sure what's up with that. I was about to buy it but got a slightly newer 1326 for a little less. You don't see ones of this vintage very often.
e Markle

Re: Jet 1236 near Cleveland

Post by e Markle »

JHowell wrote: I was about to buy it but got a slightly newer 1326 for a little less.
How many metal lathes do you have Jack? I believe I've seen pics of at least a couple from your shop. Do you allocate them for specific tasks?
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I have one that I use mostly, a Logan 10 that I rebuilt, and then refitted with an 11" headstock and tailstock. Two others in various stages of crapping the bed -- a Hardinge second operation lathe that has a collet closer so is great for repetitive operations and that I do most of my stem work on because it doesn't actually have ways, just a compound that I can unbolt and remove, so I don't have to worry about damaging it with abrasives. The collet closer is about worn out, though, and when I removed the spindle last summer to replace the belts I may not have been able to get the alignment precisely like Hardinge had it. These are high precision bearings and are run in at the factory under strict control, so pulling them and putting them back in one's garage is a low-percentage play. It still works, but isn't happy about it.

I have a complete Logan 11 underdrive 920 that would be pretty good for some things except it's completely shot from abrasives (not my fault, a gunsmith did it) and it needs a new motor. It would be a great lathe to have brand new, and someday I may do everything that needs to be done, like make a new barrel for the tailstock, rebuild the apron, scrape the bed back into truth, but that's for the future, can't afford the time. I use it for stems when the Hardinge is cranky, but can only use it for about 10 minutes before the motor heats up and squeals and smokes. Planning to pull the motor and replace it with 3-phase and a frequency drive like on my other Logan. Again no time.

I needed another lathe to take up the slack caused by either the Hardinge or one of my Logans having a problem, and I didn't want another restoration project, I wanted to turn the key and go.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Hey Jack, while your attention is here I was wondering if i could get your opinion on something? I'm needing to change the spindle bearings on my lathe (an old, OLD Craftsman) and I found the size I need at Mcmaster-Carr. They're bronze sleeve bearings 7/8"od, 3/4"id and 1 1/4" long. Is there somewhere else I should be buying these parts? I just don't know if these are appropriate for use in a lathe or not...? Thanks for any opinions!

Tim
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:Hey Jack, while your attention is here I was wondering if i could get your opinion on something? I'm needing to change the spindle bearings on my lathe (an old, OLD Craftsman) and I found the size I need at Mcmaster-Carr. They're bronze sleeve bearings 7/8"od, 3/4"id and 1 1/4" long. Is there somewhere else I should be buying these parts? I just don't know if these are appropriate for use in a lathe or not...? Thanks for any opinions!

Tim
Tim, a photo would be helpful, especially of the bearing area. I don't know that much about Craftsman (Atlas) lathes. It sounds kind of odd for a spindle bearing to be a plain bushing with no provision for taking up wear, and a plain spindle bearing has to be fitted and polished to a gnat's chuff. In any case, I'd doubt that you'll get exactly the right fit off the shelf, probably more likely to have success buying the 1" bronze stock and making exactly the right size. Isn't the bushing split?

On another note, I got my 1325PBD home and unloaded today. Woof, I'm guessing maybe 800 lbs. Big difference as you go up in size, both features and quality. Controls have a nice click, oiling gits everywhere, scraping on the cross slide looks better than any of my South Bends. Very nice lathe. I've bought old US machines for years kind of on principle, and I'd love to have a primo Clausing or Rockwell or Rivett, but that's big bucks. I was looking at new machines, but there's nothing to buy that isn't imported from somewhere, so what the hell. This one I snagged for a BIN of $901 on ebay, and it's way more ready to work than the clapped-out Logan I bought a few years ago for a grand. About the same price as the BD920, new, today, for a machine with real industrial intent. I had it all apart this evening, and I can't find a metal chip anywhere. I cleaned up some rust spots, but even more gobs of Comsoline. The original owner was apparently a part-time gunsmith who claimed to have put fewer than 100 hours on the lathe, but I'm guessing that he was just bragging, I'd say it was less than 10. Keep your eyes open, they're out there.