Contrast Stain

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I just tried my hand at contrast staining and it came out really well. I used a water based black and an alcohol based top coat. I need to work on my sanding technique, but all in all I'm pretty pleased. I'll post a pic soon.
withro

Post by withro »

Hi all, I've been reading through this post and have found it very informative and would like to thank everyone for all the info provided. I noticed in a reply a ways back that Mohawk Industries was mentioned as a supplier of dyes. I was only able to find a flooring company when I searched for that. Can anyone paste the url?

Also, if any else would not mind sharing their source for dyes I'd appreciate the tips. I tried out a couple of the alcohol soluble stains from Pimo but was not very happy with them.

Thanks again to everyone here who posts. I am a spare time amateur pipemaker and have found this site to be invaluable.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I use Transtints that I bought from Woodcrafters. They work great so far.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick did you post a pic of that contrast stain that you did on the pipe that you mentioned above?
Nick

Post by Nick »

nnoooo, not yet. Sorry. I'll snap a few tonight. I promise
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick wrote:nnoooo, not yet. Sorry. I'll snap a few tonight. I promise

I'll be waiting to 8O your contrast stain...

:angel:
HOOK

Post by HOOK »

I'll be waiting too.... :P
OleFattGuy

Post by OleFattGuy »

I noticed in a slide show from one Italian pipemaker that he did actually set the pipe on fire after having applied the tint. Whether it was the undertint or the top layer I do not remember now.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that some colors or dyes needed heat to set in, well this might be a part of the solution to that perhaps. If the tint is alcohol based just be generous with it and hold it to your spirit lamp or candle and - whosh !

Any reflections on this?
OleFattGuy