Contrast Stain

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

JHowell wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:
Somebody was--how shall we say--telling you a story Jack. :wink: I don't know why. I've always known Tom to be forthright and up front about everything, but I assure you, his golden contrast finish is not achieved with leather dye. I would imagine, after all these years, that the annoyance which comes from being asked where to get lab stain might lead one to infer they wouldn't know. That is very curious indeed.

Todd
Hmm, well, my communication was directly with Tom, and the only reason I asked him was because of his reputation for forthrightness. I'm sure what he told me was, as Obi-Wan said, true from certain point of view. So, I return to my original musing: I wonder if it's a weak silver nitrate preparation? Nothing blacker than oxidized silver nitrate. It's very corrosive in any concentration, but profoundly durable. Don't suppose you'd have access to labels to read, Todd?
Hey Jack,

No, I don't have any labels, but both solutions are clear with a bluish-purple tinge to them. They require heat to set.

Todd
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

ToddJohnson wrote:
Hey Jack,

No, I don't have any labels, but both solutions are clear with a bluish-purple tinge to them. They require heat to set.

Todd
Aha, more tantalizing tidbits! You mix two liquids, so you have a reaction. The color must be a result of the reaction. The chemicals, having reacted, are insoluble. That eliminates silver nitrate, which reacts to light . . . Do the liquids, having been mixed, become dark on their own, or only after heat has been applied? Or does the heat solidify the coating? As Holmes said, what one can create, another can discover.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

drat! This is starting to sound unattainable for people who are not making a living from selling pipes (and a darn GOOD living at that).
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

bscofield wrote:drat! This is starting to sound unattainable for people who are not making a living from selling pipes (and a darn GOOD living at that).
Quite the opposite: people making a living selling pipes are too busy making pipes to chase down unobtainium, though I suspect that being in the game a long time helps unobtainium come your way from time to time. :) I think enthusiasts like me are more likely to expend a lot more energy on a secret ingredient than the results actually merit. Although, I've got to say, that golden contrast stain is pretty special. Anybody know how it holds up after a few years of smoking?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

If I am not mistaken, laboratory stain is not available in the US (toxicity reaons? -- it is apparently nasty stuff). Knowing the right people involves friends in Europe.

Tyler
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Tyler wrote:If I am not mistaken, laboratory stain is not available in the US (toxicity reaons? -- it is apparently nasty stuff). Knowing the right people involves friends in Europe.

Tyler
Heh. One of the preparations I use to blacken nickel silver ferrules for fly rods is cyanide-based. Lab bench stain may not be available as a commercial preparation for liability reasons, but if it's a chemical, it can be gotten ; ). One of these days I might have the energy to track it down. I'm kind of liking my silver nitrate idea, though. Hmmmmmm . . .
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Ya know, Ben Wade did a pretty good contrast in this pipe. Even tho he didn't use an overstain that dramaticaly emphasized the grain he sure got the grain to retain it's color real well...

Sharpee?

ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

bscofield wrote:Sharpee?

It's certainly used by some. It won't bleed the way alcahol soluble stains do, so it makes a good choice if an analine stain will be going over top.

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Your joking right... :?:

Sharpee? Just cote it in sharpee and then what? sand it off?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well, its probably water based. Why not?
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Nick wrote:Well, its probably water based. Why not?
It's chemical based and sets very deep. Using a small one would be like trying to piss on a forrest fire, but yes, try large permanent markers. You'd be surprised at who else uses them.

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

You keep hinting but I have feeling that you are not going to tell me who else uses them, are you?

So use a large and coat the whole pipe with it? or try and draw on the soft grain with it? This sounds so silly...

and FYI, if this is a pipe makers prank I'll be paying a visit to the Todd Johson pipe studio for a briar block reimbursement! :P

Or you could give me one of your pipes and we could call it even! :twisted:
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

I generally kick Todd's ass once a year. Most folks just send me donations through the year and when there's enough in the kitty I smack him around a bit. If you want to get in on it just send me a private email and I'll email back with the details :o

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

bscofield wrote:You keep hinting but I have feeling that you are not going to tell me who else uses them, are you?

So use a large and coat the whole pipe with it? or try and draw on the soft grain with it? This sounds so silly...

and FYI, if this is a pipe makers prank I'll be paying a visit to the Todd Johson pipe studio for a briar block reimbursement! :P

Or you could give me one of your pipes and we could call it even! :twisted:
Various pipemakers use various things to accomplish various purposes. Some consider certain processes proprietary. Since I don't have a list of makers and their lists of "trade secrets"--at least as regards the general public--I'd prefer not to make things public knowledge that they might prefer to keep under wraps.

If you'd like to see pictures of a pipe colored with magic marker, direct your browser here: http://www.stoabriars.com/photos/DartanianGroup.JPG

FWIW, Sharpee sucks for this and it's purple.

Happy expiramenting,

Todd
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

sagiter wrote:I generally kick Todd's ass once a year. Most folks just send me donations through the year and when there's enough in the kitty I smack him around a bit. If you want to get in on it just send me a private email and I'll email back with the details :o

Neil
Yes, I believe I'm due again in March. While Neil is under the false impression that this is purely his domain, it's a privelage I extend to all my customers who spend at least $1500/year with me. It's a small price to pay really. It started out as a sales gimmick--"Buy a pipe and you get to kick my ass"--but then it became more of an end of the year "thank you" to my good customers. See ya in Newark Flancebaum.

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Wow.. that's an interesting gimick. I'm afraid that *IF* I tried to duplicate it that my wife would buy me out! :lol:

Incidently, I don't expect you to spill the beans about stuff like that. I was just joking. It was clear you didn't want to say who dun did it... dat's cool! I just really appreciate the tip.
stdly

Post by stdly »

I have one of those 1/16 tip Sharpies that would be fun. :(
The ink used in those makers can be bought in liquid form I would think.
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
marks

Post by marks »

ToddJohnson wrote:
If you'd like to see pictures of a pipe colored with magic marker, direct your browser here: http://www.stoabriars.com/photos/DartanianGroup.JPG

FWIW, Sharpee sucks for this and it's purple.

Happy expiramenting,

Todd
Todd, you get the prize for the coolest tip of the week. :)

By the way, you forgot to mention what brand of magic marker you use. :D
magruder

Post by magruder »

Quite the opposite: people making a living selling pipes are too busy making pipes to chase down unobtainium, though I suspect that being in the game a long time helps unobtainium come your way from time to time. I think enthusiasts like me are more likely to expend a lot more energy on a secret ingredient than the results actually merit. Although, I've got to say, that golden contrast stain is pretty special. Anybody know how it holds up after a few years of smoking?

I have an older Eltang nearly round apple that has the GC stain.It still has nice contrast, but the pipe is generally darker overall for smoking - just like all others darken from use.
Incedentally - I showed this pipe to Tom in Chicago and he looked thoughtfully at it for a moment and in a grave tone said :
"This is pretty old ...... I was good back then too!"
Then he gave his typical impish smile.