New Lathe Chuck:

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
bluesmk

New Lathe Chuck:

Post by bluesmk »

Hi gents! I think I posted last spring when I bought my new 10x22 lathe:

I love it, but it came with a 6 1/4" 4 jaw independent chuck that I thought I could use effectively. Man what a pain as some of you know. Set-up used to get me almost to the point of punching a wall! Here's the culprit:
Yes it worked onced I had everything right but I wasted a lot of time.
Chatting with Premal of Chedda pipes at the NY show we were discussing chucks and machinists and he gave me a name and contact #'s of Mark Yingling in Natrona, PA.
Well for months I was hesitating and finally called and chatted with him for a bit and he said yes he would and in fact he'd made a few for some prominent pipe makers on this site. He told me he had made chucks not only for Premal, but Jack Howells and Brad Pollhman....well that was enough for me. Now I had to buy the right chuck.
Having experience in Brads machinist abillities and not to mention his pipe making tallents I contacted him. At this time I would like to publicily thank Brad for his generous help, guidence and time. He pointed out the proper chuck, and back plate. He also spent time on the phone with me so I would know the correct measurements to take and where! Thank you Brad.
I bought the chuck and had it drop shipped to the machinist. He and I talked on the phone back and forth as we got measurements correct. I also sent pics of my spindle set up so he'd know what he was dealing with. A peach of a man to work with I may add. Well enough story, I just want to say, if your on the fence about a chuck, or your looking to have a chuck made, I Highly recommend Mark Yingling! If you want his contact #'s PM me I'll gladly pass them on.
This chuck is a serious comitment to our craft.
Thanks for looking,
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: New Lathe Chuck:

Post by KurtHuhn »

Absolutely phenomenal! Once I get my 12x36, one of those will be next purchase. Now you have no excuses, Dan! :thumbsup:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Wow Dan that's impressive. Puts my little Talon to shame!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I've been extolling the superiority of this chuck since Mark made the first one to my specs a few years ago. You can make perfectly good pipes with lesser chucks, but this thing is worth every penny. It's absolutely rigid. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

That is one serious chuck. Congratulations.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Congrats on the new chuck and I want one too one of the next investments to make
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

I gotta say, "Very cool looking chuck!" 8)
You said the 4-jaw (independent, I'm guessing) drove you crazy, but I have some questions for you and/or jhowell who has a similar modified Bison 2-Jaw chuck.
1. I'm assuming the Bison 2-jaw is a self-centering chuck. Is that right?
2. If yes, does that ever pose a big problem with odd shaped blocks? I suppose there are a lot of different ways you could work, and I was just wondering how you work that?
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice lathe and chuck!
hebi

Post by hebi »

cool!
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Mike

In thouse cases you can just superglue some extra briar where its needed and re-square the sides
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

geigerpipes wrote:Mike

In thouse cases you can just superglue some extra briar where its needed and re-square the sides
Oh, yea, that would work. A lot of guys use the One-Way, with tower jaws, and they are self-centering, too, I think, but for some reason, I always thought that independent jaws worked better on briar blocks, and I've never tried a self-centering chuck. I just got my 4-jaw independent modified by Trent Rudat. I've only made one pipe with it, so far, but it worked great on the odd shaped block I used. I got the one with the register pins, which are helpful, but I take them before I run the lathe, put them back in to rotate the block, then take them out again before I run the lathe. They scare me a little. You can't see them very good when they're spinning.