Sanding motor

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
DaGamba

Sanding motor

Post by DaGamba »

So, a month since moving to this new city, I finally got hold of a place to set up a workshop. I will have to do some upgrading and the most urgent is to get a new sanding set-up. I'm basically looking for a motor to attach sanding discs to. I stumbled upon this sanding system and am thinking it might be worth a try. The thing that worries me a bit is that the motor is running on 3000 rpm... Although it's supposed to be really silent, which is neat.
Here's a link to the place I would buy it:
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product ... detail.jsf

And here's some more info on the motor and the system:
http://www.plano.se/GB/engelska.html
You have to click the Kirjes tab.

What do you guys think? Comments? Ideas?

PS. I will post pictures of my new workshop when I get settled. I'm very exited about it. From September I will have my workshop set up in a museum, in a building from the 16th or 17th century. And until then I get to use a room in another building. Also from the 16th or 17th century. All rent-free...! It has it's advantages to move to a small city sometimes. :D DS
JHowell

Re: Sanding motor

Post by JHowell »

Not wild about drums, it's not a very useful shape for pipe making, in my opinion. You need the edge of a wheel to get inside angles, and you need a larger surface to keep the ripples down. The sanding drums don't have a very large area so they'll wear out quickly and I'm guessing will be somewhat expensive to replace. You won't be able to cobble wheels to the motor because 3000 rpm is too fast for anything but those small drums.

http://shop.hermanns.dk/product.asp?product=3736

That's what you want to get -- something like it, if not exactly that.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

you could also just hit hornbach or obi and pick up one of the 30 Euro bench grinders (lower RPMs) .. they have m13 arbors and then use one of the bigger sandinng pads for hand grinders and attach it.. I had a righer RPM grinder and it .. well didn't work all that well for me... I still use it but to rough shape .. and the the lower rpm one works like a charm

http://www.elektrowerkzeughandel.de/gue ... e=s36.html

Güde Doppelschleifer GDS 125

james
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I use 3000rpm for most of my sanding but I can assure you it isn't for the faint hearted. A 40grit disc can remove a lot of briar and a lot of skin very quickly if you are not careful. It does make for fast roughing out of a shape however and if you work with morta a lot then it is almost essential as the material is so hard. My setup however does have variable speed so i can slow it down as much as 210rpm if needed. While I dont use the slower speeds that often I wouldn't be without them.

A much cheaper alternative to this grinder is to buy a small drill press and mount it horizontal on your bench, it will have variable speed and a chuck already attached, a much more versatile tool.
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanks for your comments guys.
I did have a drill press mounted horizontal up until now. I might go for that option again.
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

JHowell wrote:Not wild about drums, it's not a very useful shape for pipe making, in my opinion. You need the edge of a wheel to get inside angles, and you need a larger surface to keep the ripples down. The sanding drums don't have a very large area so they'll wear out quickly and I'm guessing will be somewhat expensive to replace. You won't be able to cobble wheels to the motor because 3000 rpm is too fast for anything but those small drums.

Actually Jack ..there are only 2 cool things about the french wheel Torkild is offering... 1 they look well made and 2 they are authentic stanwell mashinery other than that they do not run true and at 3000 rpm pluss in the wrong direction... I know I got one
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanks for that info, Love. I wont have to bother about that thing then....
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

double post, sorry
Last edited by JHowell on Wed May 11, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

geigerpipes wrote:
JHowell wrote:Not wild about drums, it's not a very useful shape for pipe making, in my opinion. You need the edge of a wheel to get inside angles, and you need a larger surface to keep the ripples down. The sanding drums don't have a very large area so they'll wear out quickly and I'm guessing will be somewhat expensive to replace. You won't be able to cobble wheels to the motor because 3000 rpm is too fast for anything but those small drums.

Actually Jack ..there are only 2 cool things about the french wheel Torkild is offering... 1 they look well made and 2 they are authentic stanwell mashinery other than that they do not run true and at 3000 rpm pluss in the wrong direction... I know I got one
I wouldn't know about the RPM, and the price seems a little too dear, but that's what a nice french wheel setup *looks* like anyway. The discs not being true is no big deal with aluminum, you just clamp a wooden block in front of the disc as a tool rest and dress it with a wood scraper just as if you were turning a plate or a bowl. I've bought a couple of french wheels from US suppliers and they were both miserably out of true, which is really no surprise. There is some small variation in motor shafts, and the easiest way to get a true wheel is to true it on the shaft where it will live so it's probably best just to expect to do it. The suggestion of a slow speed grinder with double action sander pads is a good one, and probably the cheapest way to get a useful wheel. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but I think the pads are only good to a point, after which you need a very precise wheel to do precise shaping. Plenty good to start with, though.

The clockwise rotation sounds kinda good to me, being left handed. It would be interesting to know just what sort of motor that is. Some industrial motors have different coil taps that allow different speeds.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Interesting that you say about clockwise rotation being good for a left hander like yourself, in my experience it has been completely the opposite. I am left handed and use a counter clockwise disc, my friend Paul Hubartt is right handed and prefers a clockwise wheel.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

caskwith wrote:Interesting that you say about clockwise rotation being good for a left hander like yourself, in my experience it has been completely the opposite. I am left handed and use a counter clockwise disc, my friend Paul Hubartt is right handed and prefers a clockwise wheel.
Yeah, I think the main reason for the anticlockwise (threw that in there for you Brits) rotation is that it's easier to cut RH threads on a lathe with a threaded spindle. It may be an advantage for a lefty having your dominant eye and hand closest to the wheel, and all these years righties have been stuck with a less than optimal setup because that's just the way the come. Ha ha, that's how it is for us lefties with everything else. Which may be why a company like Stanwell, presumably giving some thought to setting up their equipment for best production and quality, chose the clockwise wheel.