Shaping Vulcanite Rod?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
ScoJo

Shaping Vulcanite Rod?

Post by ScoJo »

I watched Tyler's videos today on stem work, and I have to ask - how do you shape that rod into something like a saddle bit? Forgive the ignorance, but I have no idea how one does this. Is it carved out by hand, and if so with what?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

A combination of disc sander, belt sander, dremel, and hand files are what I use. (I use the dremel with a sanding drum to shape the saddles.)

When I was making that stem for the videos, I video'd the process of shaping it, but I lost those videos somehow. :?

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

Disk sander, hand files, sandpaper. That's really all you need for finishing the outside of the stems once they're drilled and the tenon is turned.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

jeff wrote:Disk sander, hand files, sandpaper. That's really all you need for finishing the outside of the stems once they're drilled and the tenon is turned.
I would add that a very sharp knife for scraping the stems down once they're filed is almost a necessity. Certainly you can manage a nice finish without this procedure, but it is *drastically* more difficult and time consuming.

Todd
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'll echo Todd's comment. Once I finally learned how to properly used this trick, finishing stems went from being a nightmare to being quite tolerable.

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

I'll third that. I forgot to mention the razor sharp knife in my list of tools. Tyler is right, it makes getting scratchless, mirror finishes on the stems much easier.

Jeff