Danish Rhodesian

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Danish Rhodesian

Post by wdteipen »

Well, once again I don't have enough pipes to have a table at the Chicago Show. I did get this one done last week. It is going with me to the show in the early am. The shank ring is Olivewood. The stem is Ebonite. Let me know what you think.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Boekweg

Re: Danish Rhodesian

Post by Boekweg »

WOW! that is a very fine pipe my friend! :notworthy:
mredmond
Site Supporter

Danish Rhodesian

Post by mredmond »

Wayne, I think that's a fine looking pipe. The shaping and blast look good and I like the contrasting stain. I'm not sure how I feel about the stem taper at the saddle, it's quite abrupt, but it is interesting. I think I don't know how I feel about it because I'm not used to it, which in no way is a bad thing.

Good work!

Micah
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I agree with Micah; the taper is a bit weird, but from the profile it's a beautiful pipe!
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

This worked ou really well for you. I like the contrast between the natural briar/olive wood and the stain. You probubly won't read this 'til you get back so I hope you had a great time in Chicago!

Jim
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't mind that stem shape - it's unusual but certainly not inappropriate. I wonder if it's a little long for the pipe - cover up about 3/4" on the profile pic and see what you think. Likewise I think the paddle is too wide - too much of a good thing (maybe this is judged against the fairly thin rounded area of the "saddle".

But it's an attractive pipe all the same - soft and underspoken, which I tend to like, and I certainly like the colors at play. I suspect the ring of unblasted wood would look more at home if there was an echo somewhere else on the pipe - if you look at how Gunnar of Totem Star pipes does his bulldogs, with what amounts to external rings, that idea might carry across here, but judge for yourself.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
flix

Post by flix »

Wayne,

couple of things:
-like the paddle, don't know why, just do, it's way cool
-don't like the bend in the stem, it's not smooth, breaks up the flow for me
Like the rest of the pipe, very very Dane-tastic
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Sasquatch wrote:I don't mind that stem shape - it's unusual but certainly not inappropriate. I wonder if it's a little long for the pipe - cover up about 3/4" on the profile pic and see what you think. Likewise I think the paddle is too wide - too much of a good thing (maybe this is judged against the fairly thin rounded area of the "saddle".

But it's an attractive pipe all the same - soft and underspoken, which I tend to like, and I certainly like the colors at play. I suspect the ring of unblasted wood would look more at home if there was an echo somewhere else on the pipe - if you look at how Gunnar of Totem Star pipes does his bulldogs, with what amounts to external rings, that idea might carry across here, but judge for yourself.
I knew when I took this route with the stem I would get a love it or hate it response. My intent was to mimic the shank shape. I feel like it keeps your eyes moving past the olivewood shank ring towards the bit when you look at the pipe in hand and helps the balance and flow.

I agree that the stem is a bit long and I knew it when I was roughing it in. I got the opportunity to hold it next to a similar pipe that Rad made at the show. It really help to see where I'm at and where I need to be. I learned a lot from making the comparison. The biggest thing I noticed that I wouldn't have otherwise is that the stem is ever so slightly overbent and could be a bit thinner towards the bit. I plan on doing some fine tuning.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Would really love to see a fine tuning on this one. I think it would be a great help to a lot of us guys to see the before and after pics on this pipe. I mean, it is a really nice pipe. I can somewhere feel that it could be refined in someway but I can't put my finger on it. The bend on the stem most probably, as been mentioned before.
I really like that paddled stem with that thin round section after the saddle. And I like the curve of the stem (seen from above).
To have pics to compare side by side would be great!
All in all it's a really nice pipe. Keep up the good work.
All the best,

Pär
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Most excellent pipe in every detail, and I tend not to like Rhodesians a lot, but not this one. It's great (Rad also has a lot of great looking Rhodesians, too). I think the detailing and the creative elements really make it work.
Definitely Danish. Congrats. :D

P.S. you're welcome. :lol: