New pipe workshop Finally!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
smokindawg

New pipe workshop Finally!

Post by smokindawg »

I have posted pics as I worked toward getting my new workshop set up and running.

Well, it's finally done. I have it up and running, have the air conditioner installed and have added most of the finishing touches.

The last bits I've finished are the buffing/sanding station.

The disc sander for squaring blocks and belt sander for some of the fine work.

This is a sanding table with dust collection integrated into it. I have my dremel set up here and can do both sanding and rusticating without making a big mess like I used too.

Here is a picture of most of the shop. You can't see the Jet 9x20 metal lathe or the 12" Craftsman Bandsaw in the picture.

I've even gotten a couple new pipes in the works and should have them done as soon as I finish the stem work on them.

It's been a while coming, but with all the renovations on the house we bought where this shop is, I've just had so many things to do. But I'm really going to enjoy this shop and there is an open invitation to any members that may want to make a trip and play/smoke in it with me. We can make a pipe and I may even be able to fire up the grill if you have time to stay for dinner. :thumbsup:
Pipe Maker in the Making!
DrThunder

Re: New pipe workshop Finally!

Post by DrThunder »

looks great man! If I HAD a shop, let alone one that looked like that, I don't know if I'd take the time to take pictures, OR be on a forum, so I definately appreciate that you do! :)

Josh
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Congrat's on your new space! It looks like you put a lot of thought into the layout.

Jim
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Thanks for the compliments on the new shop.

I didn't post this as a "Look what I have". I posted it and the pictures because I'm excited to have the new shop up and running.

I have put a lot of thought into my set-up and while it may be that there are better ways to do things than the way I'm doing and with perhaps better tools. I thought I'd share what I work with, some of the tooling and such that I've made myself and maybe give others an idea of how they could make their own tools work best for them.

I'm a newby, haven't made many pipes and none of them as fantastic as some I've seen posted here on the forums. But I'm learning and getting along.

That is the great thing about the hobby (Business for some) of pipe making (Making anything by hand for that matter). It's a mix of both a learning curve, as well as artistic creativity. And I wanted to share my workshop/man cave with hopeful new pipe makers as well as carvers that some consider professional pipe makers. As many of here have done, I've spent $$ that ended up wasted, on tools and items that didn't work. Adapted things that didn't work well but now work great and had a good time doing so.

Again, I've been working for quite some time on setting up a shop that works for me. It's been a long time coming and I just am excited to finally have it up and running and wanted to share that excitement with the members here, as you have all been my inspiration. Thank you to one and all.

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum posts. :thumbsup:
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice set-up there!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That looks wonderful.

If I were you I'd seriously consider painting the OSB just to make it easier to clean later on, but damn... that's a nice little shop.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Mark Beattie

Post by Mark Beattie »

Shop looks great. I wish I had the space. Eventually.

Just wanted to know how your disc sander works for you. I want to purchase this 12" disc sander from Busy Bee

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/SA ... AFTEX.html

It looks similar. Let me know.

Mark
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

Looks good! Can't wait to see what comes out of it.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

I'm in the prosses of building a workshop myself. I can only hope mine looks as cool as yours lol.

Pipe makers rule! 8)
Massis

Post by Massis »

Same as boekweg here. Building my own, and I hope it'll look as good as yours!

Do you mind if I borrow the dremel table idea? I'm always completely covered in dust after using my dremel...

PS: is it always that tidy? Nearly looks like a hospital in there!