Lathe advice needed

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
JHowell

Re: Lathe advice needed

Post by JHowell »

5277a124 wrote:So, I should look for a spindle taper that is MT5? After talking to PM about their 10x30, I believe the taper is MT3. Here's a couple more novice questions.

1) Will the three jaw chuck work for holding vulcanite rod stock? Or, is a collet required?
2) PM said the machine I'm looking at doesn't have a large enough spindle size to take the 5C collets, but he said I can add an adapter to the lathe that will accept 5C collets. Is this an acceptable workaround for stem-making?
3) J Howell, when you spoke of he 2 1/4" minimum spindle, 8 tpi screw mount and D1-4 camlock, are those specifications that I need my lathe to have for these purposes?

Thanks again,

Jeff
Yes, a 3-jaw chuck will be just fine. It's what most pipe makers use, it's just that collets are totally awesome. You can get a 5C collet chuck (I posted a link) if you have the coin, but collets aren't necessary unless you get used to them. : )

I don't think the spindle mount is an issue for you, you're more limited by the size of your shop. Or maybe not. Just because the picture in the catalog shows a cabinet doesn't always mean you have to put it on one. For most of the belt drive lathes, the motor hangs off the back and the cabinet is often an option that costs extra. You can bench mount a 12X36, it just takes up more room and requires a little lower bench. The 13 inch Jet I'm working on now is on a bench. The two spindle mounts I mentioned are the minimum for a MT5 spindle internal taper, so if you get the smallest machine that will take a 5C collet it will probably have one of those.

But don't mind me rattling on about collets, again, I reckon the vast majority of pipe makers use a chuck. If you don't get started with collets you'll never miss them. : ) You should probably just spend some time with your machinist friend, he can probably show you way more in 15 minutes than we can tell you in pages and pages.
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Before things get more grim for me financially in this shaky economy, I figure I'd rather be limited by my abilities than by my tools. If collets and the two-jaw chuck by Mark Yingling are better, I want to buy those up front instead of working up to them. In my previous tool-buying experiences, I have found that buying the best tools that I could afford has been worth it when actually getting to work. I'm assuming that I can get a Bison chuck to fit any spindle size and taper (i.e. MT3)? Also, J Howell, for the Mark Yingling 2 jaw chuck that you have, Mark can make one to fit any lathe? After seeing that beautiful beast, if I had to make my lathe decision around that chuck, I would. I've seen many on this site use the one-ways or other DIY methods, but I'm a tool addict and want to get the best to start with if possible. After I saw pictures of the Yingling chuck, I knew that it was the one for me.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

5277a124 wrote:Before things get more grim for me financially in this shaky economy, I figure I'd rather be limited by my abilities than by my tools. If collets and the two-jaw chuck by Mark Yingling are better, I want to buy those up front instead of working up to them. In my previous tool-buying experiences, I have found that buying the best tools that I could afford has been worth it when actually getting to work. I'm assuming that I can get a Bison chuck to fit any spindle size and taper (i.e. MT3)? Also, J Howell, for the Mark Yingling 2 jaw chuck that you have, Mark can make one to fit any lathe? After seeing that beautiful beast, if I had to make my lathe decision around that chuck, I would. I've seen many on this site use the one-ways or other DIY methods, but I'm a tool addict and want to get the best to start with if possible. After I saw pictures of the Yingling chuck, I knew that it was the one for me.
Yes, the chuck comes separately from the backing plate. Usually you order the backing plate with the spindle mount that matches your lathe, and then machine and drill the plate to fit the chuck. With mine, I did the turning on my lathe and Mark drilled the mounting bolt holes on his mill. But I think he did the whole thing for Dan, including machining the spindle mount for an oddball spindle. MT3 is the internal taper of the spindle for the 10 inch lathe you're considering. It will probably be a 1 1/2"-8 screw mount for which backing plates are readily available, but you might check. The 2-jaw is, I think, a worthwhile up-front investment. I'm backing off the collet recommendation since you're buying a smaller lathe. If you were getting the big spindle it would make sense to spend a little extra and have a lever collet closer installed at purchase as opposed to waiting and trying to do it yourself. I don't actually recommend buying a 5C Set-Tru chuck our of the gate, that was a joke about spending your money for you. : )
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Well said! Even though I have no firm price cap, I don't want to spend what I don't have to. I did tremble a little when I saw the price of those Bison 5C collet chucks! Wow! The Yingling on the other hand, is mandatory in my view. Spending $600-$800 on a special chuck and collets for stems when the 3 jaw will get the job done is not yet necessary. Not to worry, I really enjoy spending others' money too. I just made a recent pipe convert and he's spent $1,000 on pipes already. J Howell, is Yingling's contact information available via PM or a website? As for Messer, thanks for the machines that you recommended and the Pasadena shop referral as well. I will have to consider those also. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Jeff
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Here's the most recent email I have for Mark; I don't think he'll mind me posting it. If someone has a more recent one please correct me.

smith1102@comcast.net
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

JHowell, thanks for the info for Mark, and thanks to all for your advice on a lathe. I ended up buying the PM1137 with a 6" chuck and digital readout today. By paying in full it will cost me about $2584 (a 5% discount), but I believe this machine will last a lifetime.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1127-VF.html

It's not quite as mighty as the PM1236, but I think it's a step up from the 10X30 I was looking at earlier and a good compromise between that and the 1236. Thanks for the referral to PM, Matt was just as helpful as some of you have noted in your posts. Now it's time to wait and prepare the work area for the glorious arrival as it will be here sometime in July.

Cheers,

Jeff