Super Genius Pipe Maker

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I have a secret idea for a pipe that I've been working on... I'll be leaps and bounds above your memorization of this site! :twisted:

It will sweep the nation! I'll be rich... RICH I TELL YOU!
abbeypipes

pipes

Post by abbeypipes »

good luck with your pipemaking,with all the talk of perfection in making pipes you are well on your way.The other day I picked up an expensive pipe by a well known maker and had a closer look,stem hole not central ,draw hole also , hole not coming in at exact bottom of bowl ,and finish less than perfect,it made me wonder .
regards
Nick

Post by Nick »

LOL!!

Phear the Pooka!!!
abbeypipes

pipes

Post by abbeypipes »

pooka
I agree with you,for me perfectionism has been more of a problem throughout my life,the reason; nothing in life is perfect,however I did not realise this till I was around 40 years old,now life is much easier---phew! I have worked at various crafts and found the most critical are fellow craftspeople not the people buying the goods,that opinion I have shared with many craftpeople.
I always aim to make a perfect a pipe as I can, given the vagaries of machines etc,I wonder if new pipe makers try a little too hard in being perfectionists.Is perfectionism a stick to beat yourself up with? :wink:
JMB

Post by JMB »

"perfectionism"

Hum, IMO there is and again there is not such a thing. No thing or Nobody is "perfect." Even "God" was not perfect, after all he made us, and really screw up there.
As far as a "perfect" Pipe all I can say is, that when someone buy's your Pipe, at that time and place, it is the "Perfect" Pipe for them. What some see as a flaw, others will not.
I just wish I had a lot of money as I have seen a lot of "Perfect" Pipes on this site.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

My wife and customers have used the word "perfect" to describe my work, but I still think there's serious room for improvement. I won't say it's crap, but I have much to learn, and many skills to develop.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've recently been working for a lifelong carpenter (I figure now is as good a time as any to move out of IT) and even he's been impressed with the level of perfectionism that goes into my work. He usually just lets me do my thing, but once in a while he has to say "That's good enough, we can live with that." Even at that, I have to force myself to stop and move along.

Perfectionism is a curse, and a blessing. You just need to be able to balance it with practicality from time to time.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com