Lathe Intervention

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
e Markle

Lathe Intervention

Post by e Markle »

My name is Ernie, and I have a broken lathe. There's something wrong with my tailstock; I have to readjust/realign *every* time I drill.

At first I thought all of my drill bits were bent because they would almost never line up to true. Now I think it's either the jacob's chuck or the tailstock itself. Regardless, each time I drill I have to line everything up using those Allen screws at the base of the tailstock (it's a Jet BD 920N). For the life of me I can't imagine what is causing this variance. Although the summer is insanely hot here, the temp doesn't vary that much during the day, and this started in the fall anyway.

Any ideas?
RadDavis

Re: Lathe Intervention

Post by RadDavis »

I have no idea. Hope this helps.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I knew posting this where Rad could read it would be a mistake. Wait, can Rad read? OK, I knew posting this where Rad's computer could read it to him would be a mistake.
DMI

Post by DMI »

I had exactly the same problem when my lathe was new out of the box, it turned out that the alan bolt was slightly longer than allowed for in the threaded hole, no matter how much I tightened it the tail stock would move. My solution was a simple thick washer.

David.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

DMI wrote:I had exactly the same problem when my lathe was new out of the box, it turned out that the alan bolt was slightly longer than allowed for in the threaded hole, no matter how much I tightened it the tail stock would move. My solution was a simple thick washer.

David.
That sounds like a good answer. When you center the tail stock, the adjustment screws need to oppose each other with a bit of tension. You can't just put it there, you need to snug it into center.

As you noted, Ernie, your chuck or chuck arbor could be messed up. I have a couple of chucks like that; I have to keep one tool in them and put a mark at TDC so I put them in the taper the same way every time. Make sure your tail stock taper is clean. Might not be a bad idea to take the tail stock apart, just clean it up and have a look around. Make sure the dovetail between the tail stock and base is clean. To check for chuck problems, try changing bits and doing what you'd normally do without actually drilling holes. Use a dead center in the tail stock to set the center to begin with, don't trust the chuck you're checking. Chuck a piece of stock and turn a 60 degree cone to a sharp point. Align your tail stock using the dead center to this point. Install the chuck and a twist drill, check for center. If it's not on center, there's your problem.

Jack
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

JHowell wrote:
That sounds like a good answer. When you center the tail stock, the adjustment screws need to oppose each other with a bit of tension. You can't just put it there, you need to snug it into center.

As you noted, Ernie, your chuck or chuck arbor could be messed up. I have a couple of chucks like that; I have to keep one tool in them and put a mark at TDC so I put them in the taper the same way every time. Make sure your tail stock taper is clean. Might not be a bad idea to take the tail stock apart, just clean it up and have a look around. Make sure the dovetail between the tail stock and base is clean. To check for chuck problems, try changing bits and doing what you'd normally do without actually drilling holes. Use a dead center in the tail stock to set the center to begin with, don't trust the chuck you're checking. Chuck a piece of stock and turn a 60 degree cone to a sharp point. Align your tail stock using the dead center to this point. Install the chuck and a twist drill, check for center. If it's not on center, there's your problem.

Jack
Hope this helps.

Rad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Here in Tennessee, we never have those problems. We have two Jets at the Briar Studio and I have a Grizzly in my shop. It's normally operator malfunction. In other words, ERemarkable, you're an imbecile, .
Hope this helps.

FYI-Rad's my hero!!!!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Jack & David,
Thanks for your helpful posts - I'll do some investigating. Hopefully that will turn something up. I was hoping to get more opinions from some seasoned pipe makers, but looks like none are responding. :)

Kurt,
Isn't there some kind of "ignore", or "ignore all posts", or perhaps "ignore the existence of" function that I can implement here? That would be super. Thanks.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Well, Rad and Bruce certainly are more "seasoned" than I am.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Did Ernie say something?

I placed him in my "Burning in Hell" file after his smart-ass response to my first helpful post, so I probably missed it.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

JHowell wrote:Well, Rad and Bruce certainly are more "seasoned" than I am.
Just to clarify, I was merely trying my hardest to insult Rad and Bruce (cause it's so much fun), not to take away from your response - it was helpful. Thank you.
RadDavis wrote:Did Ernie say something?

I placed him in my "Burning in Hell" file after his smart-ass response to my first helpful post, so I probably missed it.

Rad
:P
Oh, I'll have to go back and review your "helpful post". In the meantime...

[ignore]
[ignore RadDavis]
[ignore all RadDavis]
[erase RadDavis from memory]

Did it work?
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

RadDavis wrote:Did Ernie say something?

Rad
Oooo, where's THAT button?
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

e Markle wrote:[

Just to clarify, I was merely trying my hardest to insult Rad and Bruce (cause it's so much fun), not to take away from your response - it was helpful. Thank you.
Just to clarify, I was merely joshing our elders. Happy birthday, Bruce!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

e Markle wrote: Kurt,
Isn't there some kind of "ignore", or "ignore all posts", or perhaps "ignore the existence of" function that I can implement here? That would be super. Thanks.
Rad's Burning in Hell button would be great! Hopefully he'll share the process.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

JHowell wrote:
e Markle wrote:[

Just to clarify, I was merely joshing our elders. Happy birthday, Bruce!
Oh - ha! I completely missed that. Thanks for joining in - they deserve more mockery than one soul can provide :)
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Rad doesn't like being joshed.

Rad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote:Rad doesn't like being joshed.

Rad
Nor do I, Rod.
Having turned 60 years young yesterday, Rod and I are old enough to be the father to most on this board. I'm certain Rod would concur, but to claim any of you would be repulsive.
Being a senior and of more advanced years than I, Mr. Davies deserves all the respect he deserves. I really don't care since I find most of you (especially eRemarkable and Simon) to be pugnacious and loathsome.
Hope this helps :lol:

Bring back Messer!!!!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Rad
Rad has started referring to himself in the third person? This pleases me.

Bruce, did you get my birthday card in the mail yet? If not...it's in the mail. If it's ticking when you get it...don't worry! It's a...Uh...new blocking briar with a...Uh...clock in it.

"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Rad
Rad has started referring to himself in the third person? This pleases me.

Bruce, did you get my birthday card in the mail yet? If not...it's in the mail. If it's ticking when you get it...don't worry! It's a...Uh...new block of briar with a...Uh...clock in it.

"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Simon,
You're so redundant!