Should I buy this craftsman metal lathe?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
loosvelt

Should I buy this craftsman metal lathe?

Post by loosvelt »

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ ... 63675.html

Good buy? Keep in mind I know nothing about lathes (so limited in fixing/refurbishing).

Guy says it runs good.

Great price for a metal lathe. Of course the biggest downside it is only 6 swing. Pretty small but that could do some stummels, and of course it be great for stems.

-Nate
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Should I buy this craftsman metal lathe?

Post by baweaverpipes »

Are you kidding? You need to ask? I'd buy that in a flash! $350!!!!!!!!!!! Gosh! Zowee! Poodattle!
If you don't buy it, I'll have Kurt expel you from this board and from pipe making.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nate, you dumbass. Bweever is right - I will kick your ass off this board in a flash if you don't buy that lathe.

No, actually, don't bother. I'm calling the number in the listing now. :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

As said........ I'd be all over that. The milling attachment alone could be sold for most of that price. Don't hesitate, it will go away quickly!
Pipe Maker in the Making!
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

AHHHH!

I am closing on a house in like 2 weeks, money is usually not too tight, but right now it is. I'll have to dip into the swiss fund for this one, if I can pull it off.

My wife is going to shit a brick...

Why does life always work like this? Ha!
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

Called to buy.....it sold in 2 hours. Even before I saw and asked you guys..... bummer.

Well at least I know it is a nice lathe if I see another.

JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I'll be the contrarian. I owned a 6 inch Craftsman for a number of years, and while it's better than no lathe at all, the best reason to pay $350 for it would be to sell it for more. I didn't see the listing so I don't know exactly which model, but if one is shopping for a lathe I think a 9 or 10 inch machine is a better choice. You want a spindle hole that will pass stem stock. Just count the $350 you just saved as part of your lathe fund. : )