I'm almost a pipe maker!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Tyler
Site Supporter

I'm almost a pipe maker!

Post by Tyler »

Never mind I make 3 pipes a year...

I just ordered a blasting cabinet!

...now, if I get a stamp, it'll be official.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: I'm almost a pipe maker!

Post by KurtHuhn »

Congrats, Tyler! I hope to see great things.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

I had a thought, once, "If you make just one great work in your entire lifetime, that would be enough." (The "Mona Lisa")
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Now I gotta get a real stamp too or Tyler will out market me....
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

[quote="Mike Messer"]I had a thought, once, "If you make just one great work in your entire lifetime, that would be enough." (The "Mona Lisa")

Well according to some people on this forum (im not going to name names) Rad seems to think there is no such thing. according to him there is alway something that could have been done different or better no matter what. We are all different and therefore have different views. I know i am not a pipe carver although i am trying to learn right now, but i am a collector and have been collecting for a little over 14 years now and i can say this. When i am looking for a pipe no matter who the maker is, i look for what catches my eye. I look for something in the way the pipe was made that says to me, yes, this is worth spending my hard earned money on! And its people like me (collectors) that keep people like Rad and others in the pipe making business. :wink:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Boekweg wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:I had a thought, once, "If you make just one great work in your entire lifetime, that would be enough." (The "Mona Lisa")

Well according to some people on this forum (im not going to name names) Rad seems to think there is no such thing.
Oh please. I said no such thing.

I said that every pipe has something that could have been done better. I did not say that there was no such thing as a beautiful pipe. I said there was no such thing as a "perfectly executed" pipe.

There's a big difference. :wink:

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Valuable Mike Messer post #537. :roll:
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@Rad
RadDavis wrote:I did not say that there was no such thing as a beautiful pipe.
And i never said you said that. I was referring to your quote.
RadDavis wrote:I said there was no such thing as a "perfectly executed" pipe.
That kind of statement can be misleading. for example: I walk into a pipe shop or see online, a pipe that looks to me to be "perfectly executed". In My minds eye, all that means is "WOW, that is just what i was looking for!" Now going off what you said Rad, had there been more changes to the pipe on account of the maker thinking that there could have been something more done to it or this, that or the other thing, (put it how ever you want) I might have seen the same pipe and said, "Awww, that pipe was close, but just not what i was looking for." Simply because the carver changed it. I wish you could understand where im coming from. I am not trying to undermind your logic or your advice as a pipe maker. I just feel that when ever i say something on this forum that is simply my opinion on what i look for personally as a collector one of you guys seem to shoot it down or have some sort of overbearing comment (for the lack of better words) about it. I am not on this forum simply as someone who is learing about pipe making. (which you guys have been more then helpful to me and i thank you for that) I am also on this forum looking at creations. Im looking for that certain pipe that would look very cool to me in my collection. What better why is there then to be on here looking at your creations first hand as they are being made? So to sum this up. I am not just on here to learn about pipe carving, I am also on here looking for a pipe that might go nice in my collection and know about the person that created it.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Tyler, you know if you get a stamp we'll just call you a sellout.

:D
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Tyler wrote:Never mind I make 3 pipes a year...

I just ordered a blasting cabinet!

...now, if I get a stamp, it'll be official.
If you're *almost* a pipe maker, I'm in trouble.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

We seem to be really good at highjacking threads here lately.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There's threads here?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Boekweg wrote:@Rad
RadDavis wrote:I did not say that there was no such thing as a beautiful pipe.
And i never said you said that. I was referring to your quote.
RadDavis wrote:I said there was no such thing as a "perfectly executed" pipe.
That kind of statement can be misleading. for example: I walk into a pipe shop or see online, a pipe that looks to me to be "perfectly executed". In My minds eye, all that means is "WOW, that is just what i was looking for!" Now going off what you said Rad, had there been more changes to the pipe on account of the maker thinking that there could have been something more done to it or this, that or the other thing, (put it how ever you want) I might have seen the same pipe and said, "Awww, that pipe was close, but just not what i was looking for." Simply because the carver changed it. I wish you could understand where im coming from. I am not trying to undermind your logic or your advice as a pipe maker. I just feel that when ever i say something on this forum that is simply my opinion on what i look for personally as a collector one of you guys seem to shoot it down or have some sort of overbearing comment (for the lack of better words) about it. I am not on this forum simply as someone who is learing about pipe making. (which you guys have been more then helpful to me and i thank you for that) I am also on this forum looking at creations. Im looking for that certain pipe that would look very cool to me in my collection. What better why is there then to be on here looking at your creations first hand as they are being made? So to sum this up. I am not just on here to learn about pipe carving, I am also on here looking for a pipe that might go nice in my collection and know about the person that created it.
Boekweg,

First of all, on this forum, I'm talking to folks who want to learn to be better pipe makers. I'm not talking to pipe collectors.

This forum is first and foremost a pipe makers forum. The new pipe makers who post here are, for the most part, here to learn. That requires criticism of their work, usually by more experienced pipe makers who've been there and done that and can see what's wrong with a pipe. They know what they are talking about. It also requires that the makers here to learn, develop a thick skin, because they aren't gonna like everything they hear. :wink:

If you want to hunt for the next "hot pipe maker" here, that's you're privilege. Have at it.

"Wonderful work!", "Perfectly executed!" "2000 Euros Good!" from inexperienced pipe makers tell a new pipe maker absolutely nothing. Criticism from experienced pipe makers does, and he can learn from that. That's how I learned. I had a good friend (collector) who wouldn't bullshit me about my work. He would tell me everything he saw wrong with it, and I would try to make a better pipe. Eventually, I got better.

There's no better feeling than when the guy who's been telling you everything you've been doing wrong all of a sudden says, "Now that's a great looking pipe!" Then you know you're onto something.

I think that most of the new makers on this forum are here to get better, and not to hear how wonderful their work is, unless it actually is wonderful. When that happens, the experienced pros are the first to chime in. Positive comments should count for something and not be run of the mill for every new maker who posts new work. We're not here to boost someone's self esteem.

Now, this thread is about Tyler getting a new blasting cabinet and becoming a "real pipe maker". Let's talk about that. :lol:

Congratulations, Tyler! Let me know how it works out for you!

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh whatever. If I had Tyler's compressor I could coax ring grain out of a diamond.

Now he's gonna go make a buncha lumpy pipes and bring 'em around here and expect us to praise him because his name comes up in red.

:thumbsup:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sasquatch wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhhh whatever. If I had Tyler's compressor I could coax ring grain out of a diamond.
It is a nice compressor! I have one more refurb task -- hopefully one that finally goes according to plan -- and I'm good.
Now he's gonna go make a buncha lumpy pipes and bring 'em around here and expect us to praise him because his name comes up in red.

:thumbsup:
I did not know about the red thing. Took me a second to figure out what you were talking about. It's nice finding out you're cooler than you thought. Sort of like finding a $20 in your coat pocket the first cold day of fall.

I'm thinking now I need a stamp that stamps red.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

RadDavis wrote:
Now, this thread is about Tyler getting a new blasting cabinet and becoming a "real pipe maker". Let's talk about that. :lol:

Congratulations, Tyler! Let me know how it works out for you!

Rad
I almost got my hands on a decent lathe today too. If that would have happened, I think I could have skipped the stamp. As it is, I still need a stamp -- in red.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Still no lathe, Tyler? I thought you'd gotten a Jet or some such. That little SB today wasn't an "almost." "Almost" is when you talk to the guy about it, he says he'll hold it for you, you jump in your truck, and just when you get there another guy is pulling out with the lathe in the back of HIS truck. :takethat:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

JHowell wrote:Still no lathe, Tyler? I thought you'd gotten a Jet or some such. That little SB today wasn't an "almost." "Almost" is when you talk to the guy about it, he says he'll hold it for you, you jump in your truck, and just when you get there another guy is pulling out with the lathe in the back of HIS truck. :takethat:
Ouch, did that happen to you?! That would be terrible.

Ok, then mine was a close-as-I've-ever-gotten lathe for West Texas. They just don't come up for sale out here.

I do have two lathes, a Delta Midi wood lathe and a Taig. Nothing that would earn me some strips on my arm and a new business card that says, "pipe maker".
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Actually that says "Pipe Makker" but that's probably close enough.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Tyler wrote:
JHowell wrote:Still no lathe, Tyler? I thought you'd gotten a Jet or some such. That little SB today wasn't an "almost." "Almost" is when you talk to the guy about it, he says he'll hold it for you, you jump in your truck, and just when you get there another guy is pulling out with the lathe in the back of HIS truck. :takethat:
Ouch, did that happen to you?! That would be terrible.

Ok, then mine was a close-as-I've-ever-gotten lathe for West Texas. They just don't come up for sale out here.

I do have two lathes, a Delta Midi wood lathe and a Taig. Nothing that would earn me some strips on my arm and a new business card that says, "pipe maker".
If you've got a 3-jaw chuck for the Midi you're in as good a shape as many. 3 pipes a year doesn't say you don't have equipment, it just says you don't have time. You'll probably wind up buying something new like a PM or Grizzly and having it shipped. Even if somebody here in the Rust Belt found something used for you, by the time you fetched (and fixed it up, used lathes are RARELY ready to go) it you'd be out the equivalent of your savings in gas and time.